Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
yum -y install [package] Okay, I'll try this out next time I need to install something. About the error message, my xbox is indeed online, as I can connect to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

yum -y install [package]
    Okay, I'll try this out next time I need to install something.

About the error message, my xbox is indeed online, as I can connect to google and asdf.com through elinks, a command line-based browser. That is to say, I can connect after I fix the settings. Additionally, I got that error even after installing all the xorg stuff listed before, and the three xfce packages before "xfce-utils" until it gave me the error at "xfce-utils."
    I was able to download/install "xfwm4-themes" after "xfce-utils" had failed.

I will read up on those articles you mentioned.

As for the ifcfg-eth0, thanks for the path & script. It worked!
    Additionally, I'm glad that I had that networking class, or I'd be at a loss for "Network" and "Broadcast" addresses.

I rebooted, and the settings stayed, yay! Yeah, I'd usually rather have the gui, but I can manage using the command line, too ... I kinda enjoy it, because it's so much faster than the gui for certain things.

But yes, so far you've been a great help; thanks!

So now, I just need to get that weird error message away so I can get the utils package & perhaps get xfce running. woo!

any more suggestions, other than making sure the box is online (it is)?

Quote Originally Posted by ck_asdf View Post
    Okay, I'll try this out next time I need to install something.

About the error message, my xbox is indeed online, as I can connect to google and asdf.com through elinks, a command line-based browser. That is to say, I can connect after I fix the settings. Additionally, I got that error even after installing all the xorg stuff listed before, and the three xfce packages before "xfce-utils" until it gave me the error at "xfce-utils."
    I was able to download/install "xfwm4-themes" after "xfce-utils" had failed.

I will read up on those articles you mentioned.

As for the ifcfg-eth0, thanks for the path & script. It worked!
    Additionally, I'm glad that I had that networking class, or I'd be at a loss for "Network" and "Broadcast" addresses.

I rebooted, and the settings stayed, yay! Yeah, I'd usually rather have the gui, but I can manage using the command line, too ... I kinda enjoy it, because it's so much faster than the gui for certain things.

But yes, so far you've been a great help; thanks!

So now, I just need to get that weird error message away so I can get the utils package & perhaps get xfce running. woo!

any more suggestions, other than making sure the box is online (it is)?

I am happy that I could help!

Regarding this extra-repository:
    Check your /etc/yum.repos.d/. What kind of *.repo file do you have in there. Perhaps, somehow the extra repo is not working and you only need to comment the appropiate lines out. Try to find an "fedora...extra.......repo"

Mazer
    I was seduced by SUSE 5.1.
    Registered Linux User #451562

Just Joined!
    These are the repo's listed in that directory:
    fedora-devel.repo
    fedora-extras-devel.repo
    fedora-extras.repo
    fedora.repo
    fedora-updates.repo
    fedora-updates-testing.repo
    So it does say I have an extras repo ... what next?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    These are the repo's listed in that directory:

So it does say I have an extras repo ... what next?
    Yes, you have one. Either you open both in an editor and you uncomment all lines using "#" at the beginning of the lines or you copy the two extra-repo file in a different directory for backup. Then try again the installation.

Mazer

Just Joined!
    Okay, I backed up the repos, uncommented both the extras one, and woo hoo! No errors.

Now, though, when I run "startxfce4," it tells me that the command cannot be found. Might you know what directory xfce is in, so perhaps I can put in the absolute path?

Okay, I backed up the repos, uncommented both the extras one, and woo hoo! No errors.

Now, though, when I run "startxfce4," it tells me that the command cannot be found. Might you know what directory xfce is in, so perhaps I can put in the absolute path?
    Mmmmh. I have just installed xfce4 on my old FC3 in order to see where it is located.
    startxfce4 should be under /usr/bin. Check if that directory is in your PATH.

Mazer

Just Joined!
    hm, intriguing ... I just noticed something kinda odd.
    I'm not running FC3 ... I'm actually running FC4! Hah, not sure how I managed to get that confused, but anyway ....
    I ran startxfce4, got the following HUGE page-long error message (made into a text file, uploaded to my server).

A quote from it that may be the problem?
    Fatal server error:
    Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices
    Location of the full error message:
    http://ck.podzone.net/xerr.txt

Just Joined!
    you mention to make sure that startxfce4 is in my PATH ... I think I know what that means (so I can run it from any directory?), though I'm not sure how to do it.

hm, intriguing ... I just noticed something kinda odd.
    I'm not running FC3 ... I'm actually running FC4! Hah, not sure how I managed to get that confused, but anyway ....
    I ran startxfce4, got the following HUGE page-long error message (made into a text file, uploaded to my server).

A quote from it that may be the problem?

Location of the full error message:
    http://ck.podzone.net/xerr.txt
    I guess the nvidia driver "nv" has a problem. Do you have any nvidia graphic card?
    I am not sure about the xbox hardware configuration.

Yes, if you put "/usr/bin" into your PATH you can start startxfce4 from any directory.
    What shell do you have? Type
    Code:
    echo $SHELL
    Mazer

Just Joined!
    the shell is BASH (/bin/bash)

As for the graphics, I found this on one site:
    ... 233Mhz custom-designed chip, developed by Microsoft and Nvidia that Nvidia later went on to base the GeForce 3 on. ...

Source:
    8Bit Joystick.com: Review: Microsoft Xbox Video Game System

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast