Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to get my USB speakers to work on my notebook. I have PCLinuxOS 2007 dual booted with Windows XP. XP will auto recognize the USB speakers and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How To Configure Sound In PCLinuxOS

I am trying to get my USB speakers to work on my notebook. I have PCLinuxOS 2007 dual booted with Windows XP. XP will auto recognize the USB speakers and load the drivers and allow me to get sound. However, Linux will see the device in hardware but, since I am new to Linux, I don't know if the drivers are loaded for that device; and I don't see a way to set the USB speakers as the primary sound device. The speakers I just bought did not ship with any software and it only plugs into the USB port no other cords needed. The reason I am using these external speakers is because my sound card has gone bad and will only work when you hold a certain spot on the laptop. Keep in mind the speakers DO work on the Windows partition so I just need to find a way to get it working on PCLinuxOS. Anybody know a way to make this work?

Just Joined!
    Does anybody know how to make this work?

do you have Alsa or OSS installed? you need one of those to get audio to work.
    Code:
    lspci | grep audio
    post the results of this so we can find out what kind of sound card you have

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    do you have Alsa or OSS installed? you need one of those to get audio to work.
    Code:
    lspci | grep audio
    post the results of this so we can find out what kind of sound card you have
    Well my sound card works fine-ish. See the thing is the sound card on my laptop works but its sort of broken because if I hold a certain area on the laptop the card will play sound but when I release it then sound stops. So I bought a set of USB speakers that are supposed to plug into the laptop and give sound through USB instead of the sound card. Well that works on Windows, it also works on my Sabayo Linux installation. But on PCLinuxOS, it will see it but i don't know how to set it as the default playback device.
    So keep in mind that my soundcard does work but I just need to enable my USB speakers. Any more ideas?