Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I am a Linux semi-noob and have been looking for the perfect Distro for my needs but no luck so far. I was wondering if anyone here might ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fast Distro with Amarok and good network support.

Hi All,
    I am a Linux semi-noob and have been looking for the perfect Distro for my needs but no luck so far. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to offer some suggestions. This is what Iím looking for in a distribution:

Xine with subtitle support
    Amarok
    Fluxbox or another windows manager that works as fast (recent fluxbox versions have KDE support so I expect Amarok to work on it)
    Good out-of-box network support.

My computer is a 1mhz Acer laptop. I have tried the following distros on it:
    Xubuntu, Dream Linux, Linux Mint Xfce, DSL, Puppy, Fluxbuntu and GoblinX Micro. None have been ideal. Network support is usually too complicated for me on systems that dont have GTK+ (xfce) but the problem with GTK+ Distros is they are too bulky and slow. Of them all Dream linux was probably the most optimal but it had many frustrating glitches.

If I can find the right distro I might replace Ubuntu on my desktop as well.

Anyone?

Hiya krisbo9000,
    You can install those programs onto any distro, no problem. I think you should have a look at Mepis
    MEPIS | discover the possibilities...
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Mike. I am giving Zenwalk a try - its really good but alas Im having networking problems. I dont know how to connect to my storage drive on my other computer. Mint did that automatically. But Mint is slow. I just cant work out networking on linux at all. host name, server name? Which? Tried to read tutorials for it, just got confused. Is there any good software that i can dl that will automatically detect network configs etc?

Quote Originally Posted by krisbo9000 View Post
    Thanks Mike. I am giving Zenwalk a try - its really good but alas Im having networking problems. I dont know how to connect to my storage drive on my other computer. Mint did that automatically. But Mint is slow. I just cant work out networking on linux at all. host name, server name? Which? Tried to read tutorials for it, just got confused. Is there any good software that i can dl that will automatically detect network configs etc?
    You'll have to configure just about any distro for Wireless, just as you would for Windows. Some LiveCD's like Knoppix and Sabayon can auto detect most cards. If your Wireless card is working properly but you just can't get the settings right, try downloading and installing kwifimanager, it makes it pretty easy to set up your Wireless settings.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I will do that. WIll kwifimanager work with LEAP and PEAP and those sort of customizations? I would love to use linux in my uni library.

I haven't a clue what LEAP and PEAP are, but chances are, if it runs on Linux, you can install it.