Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to install an opefire server client onto my Ubuntu system. However the installer for the program asks you to first extract the .tar.gz file to opt or usr/bin. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing with Ubuntu

Im trying to install an opefire server client onto my Ubuntu system. However the installer for the program asks you to first extract the .tar.gz file to opt or usr/bin. Problem is when I try to extract to those directories it tells me I don't have permission. I checked my admin privileges and everything is ok. So, I come to the point where I need to do one of two things. Is there another way to install it? Can I just extract it to any folder and use the terminal command that they provided to run the install or is there a way I can get access to those folders? Also with Ubuntu does it come with RPM?

Try this:

'tar -xzf name_of_file.tar.gz'
    'sudo cp -r name_of_folder /usr/bin'

Check this Tutorial: How to install Softwares in Linux.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by T3ddy View Post
    Try this:

'tar -xzf name_of_file.tar.gz'
    'sudo cp -r name_of_folder /usr/bin'
    using the tar command do I need to include the directory before the file name?
    I keep getting the error tar: openfire_3_4_2.tar.gz: Cannot open: no such file or directory
    tar: error is not recoverable exiting now
    etc...

I'm just assuming this is a standard error when you mistype the app/dir name incorrectly, but the problem is I'm not :S

Execute ls command. openfire_3_4_2.tar.gz file must be listed in the output. cd to the folder having that file and execute tar command again.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First