Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
hey man, take a deep breath, this is real linux, and what makes is so poweful, the guide is very in depth, and if you keep the default configuration that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

hey man, take a deep breath, this is real linux, and what makes is so poweful, the guide is very in depth, and if you keep the default configuration that it uses in its walkthrough, then you will be in great shape.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

cheers

isnt there an easier way to do this? like maybe just oerwriting the files in red hat?

well...you will be doing that,(hence the partition deleting) did the smp give you access to the network? (also do you have dhcp running?)

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yeah, it detected the ethanet card but not the wireless ill sort that out once its installed

im actually in the browser thingy replying as we speak, the one on the live cd, links i think its called

im gona come out print thw whole handbook and contiue now i know it works!

excelent, any questions that you may have, please post them, we love a newcomer to linux, but many of us love a newcomer to gentoo linux even more, and we dont want to lose you to a gimassively intimidating install process. (even if it really isnt all that complicated once you look at it)

Formerly Known as qub333

wow, thanks

most forums hate n00bies saying there annoying

well, what do u expect from windows users

im gona do most of this myself but i got a problem

im not sure at all about the hard drive setup, will it only format the linux partion or format the entire drive? because i have alot of files on windows that i really need (even tho the OS is pants)

also, i read about Wine, dose that basicly let linux use windows .exe and .dll files? if so that would be useful

EDIT: is the reason u like n00bs cos they ask easy questions u can answer that make u look smart? :P

EDIT2: actually, i just thought

would it be easier for me to partion the hard drive and then install? because then i maby could just install without having to deal with the hard drive stuff, and what (prefrebly in windows as its the only 1 that fully works dispite the errors) program should i use to do it?

and how can i setup my wireless card?

Belkin told me to do this:

http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=1512

but im a total linux n00b and that sounds like double dutch

plz help

answer to edit: no, i just like to imagin a world where enough people use linux that my hands arent tied every time i make a network and the users insist on having windows desktops, a world were hackers rule and crackers no longer exist, a world where there is CHOICE!!!

ok, to the techno crud, type
    Code:
     fdisk /dev/hda
    (assuming you have a ide drive) then press p and post the results of that table here. or if you know off the top of your head, A) how man partitions do you have on your drive? (if only one, your going to have to resize it using another program, there is an active thread on partition resizing right now, read that) b) are they all in nfts?

Formerly Known as qub333

2 partitions, windows is NFTS, Linux is in FAT, but if the drivers for NFTS have come out of beta and are at a stable release i would like to change
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Dont let linux touch ntfs in write mode, it will read it fine, but writing is bad news waiting to happen, linux tends to overwrite parts of otherfiles in ntfs, since its closed source, the linux community is forced to reverse engeneer the filesystem, whitch is slow work. use for the linux partitions and extendend filesystem (like ext2 or ext3) simply because they are better filesystmes. you can do the partitioning in any program you wish, you just have to format all the drives in linux and mount them so they may be used correctly, there are lots of threads on dual booting, read a few of those and make a plan based on your needs and wants. please post the results of fdisk, p.

Formerly Known as qub333

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    you download the stage info at a later date.
    You can but if you download the iso from that link you have the stages on the cd already so you just copy them not download them. As always with Gentoo there are always a few ways to do it read the install docs for installing the stages from cdrom.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast