Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
yeah, yuo can use teh stages from teh universal cd, but if you have a highspeed network connection, your much better off doing a stage one install off teh internet. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

yeah, yuo can use teh stages from teh universal cd, but if you have a highspeed network connection, your much better off doing a stage one install off teh internet. you get the most uptodate packages, all custom compiled for your system.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Ok, from the links browser, how do i do a stage 1?
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

ok i think im gona give up

i am very stuck with this and i havnt got a clue

im gona try fedora but...

im gona strip my whole computer and format it, i know thats not really a full linux question but how do i format it?

what should i use, is there a step-by-step guid on doing it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Oxygen-
    Pace yourself if you want to install Gentoo, especially if you have a regular job. Keep sharp implements away from the keyboard until reboot is successful. Gentoo has done pretty well with their instructions, but we're talking about compiling an optimized kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    your much better off doing a stage one install off teh internet. you get the most uptodate packages, all custom compiled for your system.
    emerge sync && emerge -uvD world and your system has the newst packages compiled for your system and there is still no need to download the stage when you have it on your CD!! The stages on that cd would be 2004.1 which would be the same as the stages on there servers the most up to date so really there is no point downloading the stage again.

yeah, definietly, I guess I'm still stuck in kevins world, I only had dialup when i dled the iso's, so i only got a minimal cd (comcast is sooooo stupid) but then i got my cable back, and had to get my packages off the internet...I figured why not stage one, i have time.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

yeah but what would also help if i understood my hard drive partion

i have the hda1's and stuff, are these the linux partions or the wifnows partion too? if i knew that then i could do this step and maybe it would be easier to frikken install

Linux Guru
    Oxygen-
    Very easy to tell if windows or Linux partition: if you run fdisk /dev/hda and then p for "print partition table to screen", or if you run mount (no arguments required), you will see the file system type for each partition. Linux partitions are usually ext2 or ext3 while windows partitions will be msdos, vfat or ntfs. By the way, Linux will always recognize windows partitions, but windows does not understand Linux partitions.

hda is the whole hard drive, hda1 is the first partition on hda.

Given where you are, O2, I'd endorse your idea a few posts back about trying Fedora. They have a mostly automatic install frontend that only expects you to know general things about your hardware. Although I'm trying (with effort) to migrate to Gentoo, everything I know about Linux I owe to Fedora. Once you have done a successful install, you can use the OS and get an understanding of how it works and what it needs. And then when you find that you want more, either tweak what you have or move to Gentoo. My experience is with Fedora Core 1, I don't know about Core 2.

ok, ill do that, thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4