Find the answer to your Linux question:
once i have linux installed, where on my computer will i be booting from ? I was reading a thread on here, where it said " linux has to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question another dual boot ?'

once i have linux installed, where on my computer will i be booting from ? I was reading a thread on here, where it said " linux has to boot windoes" Will i be starting my comp into the mbs where i boot from the dvd now ? or will it give an option: in the boot order like; hd, dvd drive,floppy disc drive,ubuntu ? and will i have to completely reinstall windows after the partitioning is done ? or will it be fine after just being shrunk ? thanks for any reply.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    once i have linux installed, where on my computer will i be booting from ?
    You'll be booting from the Master Boot Record, which is usually in the very first block on your harddrive. The Linux distribution you install should set this up for you.

I was reading a thread on here, where it said " linux has to boot windoes" Will i be starting my comp into the mbs where i boot from the dvd now ? or will it give an option: in the boot order like; hd, dvd drive,floppy disc drive,ubuntu ?
    Yes, you'll see a menu with several options including Linux and MS Windows, which you can choose from at boot time.

and will i have to completely reinstall windows after the partitioning is done ? or will it be fine after just being shrunk ? thanks for any reply.
    Make sure you do two things before shrinking your Windows partition:

1. BACK UP your important data in Windows.
    2. Defragment your Windows partition so that all the used data is on one end of the partition. This lessens the chance that shrinking the partition will cause data loss.

You shouldn't have to reinstall MS Windows after shrinking its partition, but back up your stuff in case something does go wrong.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants