Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running the latest Ubuntu(gutsy) and I am having some problem installing flash player. I can't use the add/remove program to install it(won't let me check the box) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install Flash player in Firefox (Ubuntu)

I am running the latest Ubuntu(gutsy) and I am having some problem installing flash player. I can't use the add/remove program to install it(won't let me check the box) and I tried to install it with synaptic and apparently that did not work either. So I had to download a .tar file, which I have no idea what do with. I am used to double-clicking .exe's in windows, so I know nothing about this tar business, lol. But I want to learn, and I guess now is the time to do it. So what should I do?

you should just be able to go to a web site that requires flash, and then firefox will ask you if you want to install the flash player plugin for it

Just Joined!
    That didn't work for me. It asked, and then it said it was already installed when I selected it to be installed. I installed it with synaptic, but I think it may be an older installation. So how do I run this .tar file?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Code:
    tar xf filename
    If you already have the plugin installed it should just be a matter of enabling it in firefox or adding it manually wherever it was installed to

Just Joined!
    Thanks but I haven't been able to get it to work using those suggestions. I know I'm probably doing something wrong.

Execute this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi Casper. After multiple attempts to get flash working, I installed some free flash-type program thing, that doesn't really work right. Also, I did try your command and here's the text I got:

flashplugin-nonfree is already the newest version.
    Which doesn't surprise me because I've already installed it. But for some reason, websites don't believe I have.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...ine-video.html

afterwards...

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree

Now, try visiting the video again in firefox. I think it will give you the choice of installing the adobe one. If not...

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

ok, flash issues

first remove ALL flash renderers of any type,

then goto the adobe site and just download the tar.gz and install it manually

thats what i always end up doing.

ps. u r using x86 right? not 64...

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your replies. I forgot all about this thread because I became preoccupied with bigger problems. And now I've resolved those and I want to watch some flash videos again. Then I remembered I had this thread and I found it. I tried all of the suggestions, but I can't seem to get flash working if my life depended on it. I've tried the command line, synaptic, and the firefox prompt, none have worked for me. At first they would look like they were going to work, but then when it came time to play a video,it was as if flash was never installed.
    btw tech, I don't really know how to use Linux at all. I am very n00b. That tar business is Greek to me. In regards to your question, I am using a 64bit AMD processor, and I think my Ubuntu GG is 64bit as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast