Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im visually impaired and cant use a computer without a screen magnifier like zoomtext, here is a demonstration of the software if interested. www .youtube.com/watch?v=WmcUsd-eZ0Q Anyway i'm curious if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux accessibility

Hi, im visually impaired and cant use a computer without a screen magnifier like zoomtext, here is a demonstration of the software if interested. www .youtube.com/watch?v=WmcUsd-eZ0Q

Anyway i'm curious if any of you here know much about fullscreen magnifiers like zoomtext in linux and which distro would be most appropriate. I have read some information about assistant technology for linux, but this is mostly targeted to people who are totally blind or about projects that are a few years old. I have heard about a zoom function in the compiz-fusion and looked at a youtube video but i cant tell if it has any font smoothing or if any colour enhancements are available.

Anyone think they can help?

Cheers,
    A

I think the zoom functionality in Metisse is very impressive and easy to operate. Mandriva comes with it installed over KDE.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, andre12!

Take a look here for some application options that might work for you, too:

Accessibility | Linux App Finder
    oz

The Orca screen reader and accessibility modules in Gnome are quite good, though I speak as someone without visual impairment. I certainly think it is worth a look. I am not sure about colour adjustments but I know both Gnome and KDE desktop allow for high contrast modes to make identification of icons etc. easier.

With Compiz The zoom function provides a kind of antialiasing for not just fonts, but everything so that there is smoothing even to video and pictures during the zoom. I can also attest that it is very smooth and natural feeling as it is OpenGL accelerated.

Linux Newbie
    Hi,

With compiz fusion you have a lot of useful tools to help you... a colleague use the negative view of windows and desktop to have high contrast (super key + M or N), live-zoom (as easy as super key + mouse scroll), and in combination with other features of your dektop (both KDE and gnome) you could have text to speech and visual alarms.

So, if you have a compiz capable computer, I think it's an excellent option to help you.

Hugo
    EOF