Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok I've been in here for hours reading, but finally, I'm breaking down and asking. Trying to configure network on the dell 8100 laptop running xubuntu. what do I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Red face ip address/host name ?

ok I've been in here for hours reading, but finally, I'm breaking down and asking. Trying to configure network on the dell 8100 laptop running xubuntu. what do I need to put in the fields ip address. subnet mask. and host name field ? The live cd that im writing this from just connects automaticly without any configuring, so I went into the network connections there and all that it has is 127.0.0 and everything else is blank, so I figured the installed version should be able to reconize that computer also, but it doesn't. any help much appreciated... i

Linux Enthusiast
    127.0.0.1 is your loopback device, it doesn't get you online.

The fastest way to sort this would be to boot from the live cd, open a shell and enter the following command:

Code:
    ifconfig -a
    route -n
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Paste the output here so we can see how your network is configured. Remember to hide the last portion of any public IPs.

This will show us the settings you have when you can get online. From there we should be able to temporarily get you online, and if that all works we will be able to make those settings permanent.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Linux Newbie

got it

Thanks, Chris, I ended up getting online last night. I wish I would have payed more attention when i did, because i see lots of people getting stuck at this point... I did it from the gui. went to system -network- and enable connection. there were 3 choices to inable, and the one I picked, did everything without having to input ip, host, subnet mask. It just went straight to Ubuntu support page...woooo hoooo. So happy. that was on an old computer that was dead as a hammer...I honestly didnt think it would ever work, but it works perfectly. now to set up my 2 other computers...thanks to all with the help in linux forums. B V