Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, A while ago i tried to install different Linux distribution's, but none of them worked... I think i wasted like 10 Empty dvd's with different distribution's, but they all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What architecture am i suppose to get?

Hi,

A while ago i tried to install different Linux distribution's, but none of them worked...
    I think i wasted like 10 Empty dvd's with different distribution's, but they all crashed in the end... So i gave up, because i wasted so much time already

Now, like a month later, i'm willing to try it again, and i want to get it right this time...

So, im wondering, what architecture am i suppose to get?

Like with debian, i can choose between:
    [alpha] [amd64] [arm] [hppa] [i386] [ia64] [mips] [mipsel] [powerpc] [sparc] [s390] [source] [multi-arch]

My processor is a Intel QX6700. I already tried to google what architectures are supported, but i couldnt find it... Does anyone know what version i need to get?
    (And oh, i would prefer a X64 version, because i got 4 GB memory.. and X84 doesnt detect so much)

Thanks

Gr. Mudkip

Edit: And oh, i have a Nvidia 8800 GTS Video card, do i need to do anything special because of that? (Because i heard the drivers weren't working or something..)

You can use any x86 distribution, though x86_64 (sometimes called x64) is what you are looking for for full memory support. If you are having problems with crashing it is not with architecture, as if the architecture was not compatible it simply would not boot.

Pick a distribution you would like to try and post back details of errors or symptoms of faults you are experiencing. I am using a Q6600 and have run 32-bit and 64-bit distros without any trouble at all. I'm posting now from Ubuntu 7.10 x86.

oz
    forum.guy
    And oh, i have a Nvidia 8800 GTS Video card, do i need to do anything special because of that? (Because i heard the drivers weren't working or something..)
    You've luck out because the nVidia folks have just released a new driver that includes support for the 8800 card:

Unix Drivers Portal Page
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    You can use any x86 distribution, though x86_64 (sometimes called x64) is what you are looking for for full memory support. If you are having problems with crashing it is not with architecture, as if the architecture was not compatible it simply would not boot.

Pick a distribution you would like to try and post back details of errors or symptoms of faults you are experiencing. I am using a Q6600 and have run 32-bit and 64-bit distros without any trouble at all. I'm posting now from Ubuntu 7.10 x86.
    Ok, thanks...

Well, the old problem was that the installations just got stuck half way trough. Like, or they just didnt do anything anymore, or it randomly rebooted...

My tought was that my DVD player / burner was broken, so i bought a new DVD burner now (I wanted a dual layer / sata burner anyway) so i will try again

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You've luck out because the nVidia folks have just released a new driver that includes support for the 8800 card:

Unix Drivers Portal Page

Hmm... i just installed ubuntu,
    First i tried the normal install, and i got a black screen when i pressed install...

So, then i tried the Text based install, that did work,
    But now i cant get into ubuntu, because i will get a black screen too...
    I can get in recovery mode tho, but i have no idea how to install those nvidia drivers from there :/

What am i suppose to do now?

thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    You might be better off trying to get your card working with the generic vesa or nv driver before going for the official drivers. Lots of folks are reporting an easy nvidia driver installation using Envy. I've never tried it so can't speak for how well it works.

To get your card working with the generic driver, you might try going into safe mode and entering this:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Look around in the file to make sure the proper horizontal and vertical refresh rates are set. They should look something like this:

Code:
        HorizSync   30-81
        VertRefresh 56-75
    Also, look for the Graphics Device Section to see what driver it is using. You might need to edit out whatever is there and try vesa or nv in its place.

If all else fails, you can try running sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg from the command line to reconfigure your graphics device from scratch.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    it works now

I did

sudo nano gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And removed the quiet splat options

Now it works fine thats for your help

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad to hear you are up and running, Mudkip!

Don't hesitate to start new threads with any other questions.
    oz