Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well being fed up with Windblows and the way its security is so messed up I have decided to make the switch. Well i have a AMD Athlon XP 200+ ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux and AMD

Well being fed up with Windblows and the way its security is so messed up I have decided to make the switch. Well i have a AMD Athlon XP 200+ and I was wondering if any distro would work for me? I really need help because i really wanna switch. Another thing i have a really stupid Wireless Adapter and I am not sure if it will owrk with Linux. I cannot give you a link becuase it was 3rd party (all I could afford). And I was wondering if there was a website tha6t coulkd tell me what wireless cards were compatable with linux????

Just Joined!
    no one gonna reply?

Linux Newbie
    Patience is a virtue. You might get a reply in the 16 minutes you waited but you shouldn't expect it.
    Any x86 distro(99% of all distros are x86) will work on your rig.
    As to the wireless adapter, what chipset does it use?
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

actualy, the amd might be differny fomr an x86, but no matter, there are builds for evrything amd (even teh operons and such)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    actualy, the amd might be differny fomr an x86, but no matter, there are builds for evrything amd (even teh operons and such)
    just to add some useless info, opteron (and Athlon64 FX, Athlon64) is the only 64-bit CPU that remains backwards compatible with i386 (thus IA-32), Itanium(1/2) is it's own instructionset (IA-64).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

nifty pifty, does this affect the operons compatability with 64-bit software?

Formerly Known as qub333

Opteron can't (natively) run eg Itanum2 code - it's different instruction sets (IS), even the Opteron in "Long Mode" (the 64-bit mode, think of it as Protected Mode (PM) for 32-bit CPUs) differs the IS a little from PM. (eg the use of rax prefix)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Wow, coolness, is their a link that you know of that explains processer archetecture more, this stuff is pretty cool.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

the chipset

its a crappy 30 dollar card but it says it works with linux but i can't get it to work.And what distro do you guys suggest? I have knoppix and rehr but i don't have red hat installed and i don't plan to. I don't really like red hat (don'tshoot me!)But with knoppix i instantly get wireless not with redhat (i had redhat installed but couldnt figure out how to install the stupid drivers)

Linux Newbie
    When you ask what distro you should use, everyone's going to post their favorite. It's all a matter of taste, and the best thing is to install all the distros you can and try them all out. But if you like Knoppix then I recommend Debian (oh, would you look at that? I use Debian. ), since Knoppix is Debian-based.

But wait -- if you haven't gotten your wireless card to work with Linux, then what was all that about "with knoppix i instantly get wireless"?
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast