Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Jon. I know some people who could burn the disk for me, but it will be a while before I see them. And apparently it will let me mount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thanks Jon. I know some people who could burn the disk for me, but it will be a while before I see them. And apparently it will let me mount the HD, however I don't have a USB drive. I may just try to reinstall Vista.

Just Joined!
    omg i can't believe this s**t. my harddrive must be totally ph*ckd. Vista won't even install now. I tried to get it to install but it said it can only install to an NTFS formatted partition. I tried to format but it gave me an error code when I tried that. Then I deleted the partitions(using Vista CD) and rebooted. Then the Vista installer freezes. I try the Ubuntu installer, and now it freezes. It is frozen as we speak(it is giving me the Ubuntu "hourglass" icon/animation). This sucks. One of my professors could help me but he is out on break right now. Well I guess I should be thankful that I can at least get on the internet with my Ubuntu CD(which isn't quite displaying stuff right now anymore. but that is the least of my problems. but how knows, maybe it is beginning to deteriorate too). Man, you can just go back and look at my posts on this board and just see how my system has been deteriorating to this point. Tomorrow it probably won't even turn on. lol, man I am so pissed right now. What a piece. What a ph*ckin' piece!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandruff(lake) View Post
    omg i can't believe this s**t. my harddrive must be totally ph*ckd. Vista won't even install now. I tried to get it to install but it said it can only install to an NTFS formatted partition. I tried to format but it gave me an error code when I tried that. Then I deleted the partitions(using Vista CD) and rebooted. Then the Vista installer freezes. I try the Ubuntu installer, and now it freezes. It is frozen as we speak(it is giving me the Ubuntu "hourglass" icon/animation). This sucks. One of my professors could help me but he is out on break right now. Well I guess I should be thankful that I can at least get on the internet with my Ubuntu CD(which isn't quite displaying stuff right now anymore. but that is the least of my problems. but how knows, maybe it is beginning to deteriorate too). Man, you can just go back and look at my posts on this board and just see how my system has been deteriorating to this point. Tomorrow it probably won't even turn on. lol, man I am so pissed right now. What a piece. What a ph*ckin' piece!
    Sounds to me like bad RAM. Bot into the Ubuntu Live CD and choose the "Memory Test" option. If you see any RED, then you will need new RAM modules...

Just Joined!
    Hi khermans. I ran a memory test, but the test just keeps going and going....
    I think it was restarting multiple times. Didn't see any red, but I don't think it was completing. I got sick of it and rebooted. But yeah, I think something may be wrong with my RAM. But at this point I am still leaning towards a HD issue. But actually, I think I am leaning towards the possibility that I have a problem with both my HD and my RAM. Merry Christmas to me.

Just Joined!
    I have another question...
    How can I access a command line interface with my Ubuntu CD? How about my Vista CD? Could I attempt any formatting, installation, or diagnostic procedures from the command line interface?

What should I do at this point?
    On a positive note, I may be able to burn a CD today. I would have to use a relative's computer to do that. But I could make an Ultimate Boot CD.

Just Joined!
    Well I see that you are online and please stick on. I have my small piece of advice to give

Just Joined!
    thanks br, and I eagerly await your advice.

Just Joined!
    Listen, I dont know if you are that new to linux
    But you sound so while telling that you need instructions like a newbie for reformatting the entire Hard disk.
    As for me i have been using linux for the last three to four months and have come up with most of the problems that you told just now
    Dont worry t is not much of problem if you dont want Vista badly like you having some files to rip before formating(I assume you dont by now)
    Well to start off You are presently running using the live CD and connecting to the internet throught a wired connection and do have a some application to log on the internet, a browser and a app. to burn a CD.
    So dont worry.
    If you <i>think</i> you can dowload a few versions of Linux do it when possible with the live CD itself.
    I dowloaded a complete Suse 10.3 DVD and a Kubuntu 7.10 DVD and a Kubuntu CD working from a live Ubuntu.

Its alright if you cant as you seem to have a Ubuntu CD to install althoug i would urge you to atleast download a Ubuntu CD as there might be some problems with the MD5 numbers that go unchecked.

Well once you have the CDs you are ready to format
    So restart with the New CD that you are going to use to install.
    As it was previously told to you if you want to check your RAM do th test and leave your computer on for hours.
    I mean 5 or 6 hours cause the tests that are done on the RAM are very deep innature and repeatedly test your memory by writting , reading at multiple speeds and do it with a lot of patterns.
    If there are no errirs detected for a few hours then restart ypour computer and proceede with the instalation.

For sure there are a lot of problems with having Linux work along side Windows Vista beacuse of a lot of new security checks in Windows.
    The problem with my machine was a little horro story like what your is.
    I buyt the comp in the US and get it in INDIA through a Friend who came down and this was a brand new Laptop with Vista on. Thre fifth day of using it i install my first try of Linux. I make a lot of mistakes in the partitioning as i never knew what the difernet types of partitions meant with different Operating systems and guess what Linux dint boot. On restarting Windows doesnt work. To top it all my screen goes RED and doesnot vchange color! While it does not even boot i took it to the local HP center and they told they have no clue on Linux!!!!!1 Gone I just instructed them to format everything and give me just Windows XP using 70 Gb of my 150 Gb HDD
    This was because i was not prepared to go back to windows and i had by then read why the two OSs had problems coexisting... I dint Want VISTA or windows anymore. just a 70 Gb to fall bac in case of trouble.
    So i got my screen changed as it was a manufacturing defect and nothing to do with linux instalations or Vista faltering.
    I later learnt that the mess of windows and linux not booting was (LIKE YOU HAD GUESSED IN YOUR CASE) was very much becuse of security features of VISTA that dont allow you to truely own your oqn Booting device.

Well With that behind as you dont want any form of windows it is easier because you have only one OS to install.

So inser the CD and restart your comp.
    DONOT WORRY if it takes time. My 2 Gb Ram with the AMD Dual core took a few inutes and it dosnt matter as the entire comp starts only based on the speed of your CD's revelutions at present.
    So You take time to lok at the screen and choose to do a install and not boot from the hard disk
    You wil either be taken to a wizard or it takes time to open a graphical display very similar to your live distro. It again takes time at times. Dont worry
    Install by givng next every time and choose a clean install and all the Hard disk partitions that it gives by default.
    If you have an option to install using the entire Hard disk then choose it.
    Carry on with the instalation with all defaultd.
    This will make you eligible to boot properly without any probems giving you more chances to learn about partitions.
    Once you are done. See how many partitions have been made by looking at your sysinf icon from the desktop.
    By the time you read this twice ill come up with my next post and if you have any problems undersrtanding any part of the above please feel free to run in a query and ill reply as quickly as possibel as iam currently online and will be here for a while.
    I will tell you about partitions as much as i know that might help you in understanding it.
    Dont worry as i fell very strongly that your comp has no physical damge and needs a litlle patient instalation.

Just Joined!
    Well I dont expect you to have gone throught the entire text and immediately started to reboot.
    You wanted to know about hard disk partitions.
    There are many reasons why one partitions the disk but most of them are not really know openly to the user.
    It it makes life easier to the OS by allowing it to treat the entire disk as seperate files rather than a single huse piece of information.
    That is one of the major reasons to keep it as simple as possible.
    So how do we seperate the disk for the OS to understand?
    Mostly we start by making a file in the starting of the harddisk that is the first file that a processor will get to read a s a specification of the partitions that it can expect in the device it is going to read.
    This is why we do this partitioning in the starting of the boot process. The first time we open a computer with nothing on it we are expected to give directions fgor partitoning it.
    Okay to get dirt with more specific details of partitionig we shall see the types of partitioning available,
    Primary and Logical - this is a classifiction that i dont know much but are expected to choose from when we select a partition I recently learnt that there are a limit to the number of primary and logical parttions a single seperate Hard disk device can have.(I think a total of seven put together and a max of 4) So if your 250Gb is of two seperate devices then i guess you can have 7*2=14 partitions

Okay, coming to another classification is the file system that a partition is expected to follow.
    While parttioning after being asked what type it should be (the above question )
    you will also have the option of choosing what file sys it should follow.

You wil find options like ext2, xt3, resiefs, Fat32 , NTFS, SWAP etc.

File systems like FAT, NTFS are windows specific and if you have a previously installed WINDOWS partition you will see that listed with its type being primary and its file system either FAT or NTFS.

So we do not choose it for linux (debate on this can not be taken up with me as i am not sure of the exact details of the file systems)
    While the other file systems have their own origin and resiefs is a Suse developed File system and this is something i learned during my initial days with suse distro.

A must have mention is the SWAp and this is a partiton that is used in common in all distros as a partition not to be seen by the user but reserved to the processor to use for managing as the extention of the primary memory in the harddisk
    A swap parttion is not expected to be big and mostly kept as twice of the RAM

Next we need to know were to mount the parttion.
    Mounting is the position that we assign to he particular file (the parttion) to be attached in the entire file system of the OS
    For example in windows C drive and D drive are two partitions.
    They are respectively mounted at C: and D:.
    Similarly in linux we mount it at places where we would like to see it placed after booting.
    So generally we can mount a partition for the roots purpose
    One for the user space
    The swap is by default been mounted to the processor and cannot be seen by the user and is not available for mounting(as far as i know) and generally not mounted.
    Like it was mentioned by someone before One partiond that is mounted for data files can be seperately mounted for the users to make parts of it by munting it at /user

We will HaVE TO
    mount a root partion at "/"
    create a swap parttion( as it plays a vital role in linuxes functioning )
    crete a space for users mounting it at "/users"

Now to know a better understanding if we had a previously installed Windows part and we see it listed on the table that we see during installation we can directly mount it at "/windos/C" if C drive is mounted and we can see a seperate directory under root called "windows" under which we can see another directory "C"which holds the data of the windows partition.

So with the will have tos in mind you can see youself makig a better management of the hard disk next time you install ubuntu.

in my next post ill try to givee a little more guidelines to follow during a fresh install of Ubuntu.

Prashant.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply prashant. Thanks for putting all the effort into it, I appreciate it. I found your information about the RAM test particularly helpful. I think I misinterpreted how the test works to begin with, and I just did not give the thing enough time at all. So, I will have to run that again. So you think Vista was the root of my problems? I wouldn't be surprised. I'd like to believe that because that would take the blame off of my hardware, lol.
    But anyway, I don't think I can burn another CD. I only have one CD/DVD drive and I am using that to run Ubuntu. So I can't burn from this computer only having one drive. There's more too, but I got to go right now something came up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast