Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Oh yeah i get the point . And i remember i dint use the live CD to burn it but it was the intial instalation that Kubuntu does which does ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Oh yeah i get the point . And i remember i dint use the live CD to burn it but it was the intial instalation that Kubuntu does which does the work of installing a Live(similar) version of Kubuntu. Allowing me to burn.
    Anyways.Carry on witht the test and As i had told you previously I strongly believe that your hardware is safe.
    Vista and its handling of the booting, DRM or otherwise Digital Rights Managemnt are quiet a dangerous thing(according to me) with respect to your privacy and there are many threads in this linuxforums.org itself that helped me explain the features of VISTA that ,ade linux and vista hard to co-exist.
    At the same time i would also like to tell you that it is not completely ipossible to not make them co-exist. Just taht i am not pretty sure about how.

Also I had Windows Vista + sUSE (Both dint boot)
    then Windows XP(70Gb) + Suse 10.1(80 Gb)
    Then WindowsXP(50 Gb)+ Suse 10.1(100 Gb)
    Then Windows Xp (30 Gb)+ Suse 10.1(120Gb)
    Then Win Xp (30 Gb) + Ubuntu (120Gb)
    Then Win Xp (30Gb) + KUbuntu (50Gb)
    Then Now Win XP (20 Gb) + Kubuntu (30Gb) + Suse 10.3(50Gb)

The fact that i have not logged onto windows even once int the entire time is making me Feel Wierd about myself.
    I would like to make Kubunt /Ubuntu and Suse as thr only two Os's on my machine but the Ubuntu ./ Kubuntu versions are pretty crazy with respect to software instalations and if you find any thread that explains it please reffer them.
    Thanks
    And dont worry about wour H/w. I guess you must be okay with about two reinstalations.,

Last of all i am really sorry for all the typographical errors a lot of gramatical also as i was just keen on wriing and forgot the presence of thr backspace many times.
    Probablly next time onwards I ll keep it clean,
    you can ,essager me at any time and ill tell you what ever i know with respect to intial instalations as i havre done it atleast a thirty odd times ikn the previous two months!!

Prashant.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again Prashant. Right now I am trying to do another install of Ubuntu using the live CD. I just thought I would give it another shot. It is really really lagging. Before, I thought it was frozen. But it is just really laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaging. I tried it again and I thought it was frozen at one of the partition screens, but then I had to go attend to something urgent, and I just now got back to it, and to my surprise it actually moved to the next screen. I have no idea how long it took, but I was a way for a while. Now it is lagging again to go to another screen, but I am just going to be patient. Hopefully it works. And thank you for mentioning in your original reply about how things take time. I mean, things are going slower than they were at first, and I'm not sure why, but they are still going. So I need to be more patient. Hopefully it pays off. I'll keep you updated. I may send you a PM or just reply here. Thanks!

Ok, I got a question...
    Right now I am at an unfamiliar screen and I don't know which option to pick. I think the reason I haven't viewed this screen before is because I actually deleted partitions and this is the first time the installer has ran to this point since I have deleted the partitions. But I'm not sure. So I just don't know what to do:

The screen says "Prepare Disk Space" and it gives me several options. The one I want to choose( I think so) is "Guided use entire disk"
    But there are some sub-options of that option as well. It has:

*SCSI2 (0
    *0 (sda) -250.1 GB ATA WDC WD25blah blah blah( I don't know if this is a serial number for my HD or what and so I don't want to post the rest of it on the internet)

Which should I pick? I am thinking that I need to pick the last one.

Update: I picked the last one. It's lagging now as expected but I'll see what happens....

Another update:
    Ok I picked that option, it started lagging and I walked away. I just got back to see that it has stopped lagging, but it is at that same screen. The option is apparently reset to default, it is as if I never selected anything. I will pick that option again, and I guess I'll just have to stay by the computer.

As you can see from previous posts memory tests work by writing different patterns and reading the patterns back. You may get a quick answer if things have gone drastically wrong & the first pattern written is not read back correctly but it can take quite a while to convince yourself the memory is good. I guess the man page for the memory tester will provide relevant details of this.

Windows and Linux can co-exist. I recommend you get a copy of the SuperGrub CD as soon as you have an operational system. This will usually manage to boot windows or Linux if you have problems with the boot loader configuration.

When installing Windows + Linux it is much easier to do the Windows install first. Once you have the Windows up and running you can then install Linux.
    In your case it sounds like you have no data to recover so remove all partitions from the system and try booting from the Vista install CD/DVD.
    If you can limit the disk space used by Windows during the install then do so ... 50GB should be enough (but Windows should advise if this is not enough). If you can't get Windows to limit the install space then just let it install & get a running system then burn a GParted GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-11 - Linux Downloads Directory or PartedMagic CD and use that to resize the windows partition(s).

The maximum number of primary partitions is 4 (one of which will be an extended partition if you are using one). The maximum total partitions allowed depends on the interface I think this is 16 for SATA Disk partitioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I hope your problems are configuration rather than hardware ... that way it will only cost you time to fix.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hey thanks Jonathan. At this point, I have no interest in a dual-boot system. I just want ubuntu on my HD. But I would take anything that would install right now.
    The problem I am currently having with the Ubuntu install is what has been going on in my "updates" as I posted above. It keeps like "resetting" on that screen. It has done it again and I don't know what to do. It will lag and then it will reset that screen as if I never picked anything.

Linux Newbie
    Mine old computer dell 8100 p-3 128 megs ram, it took one hour 20 minutes to install xubuntu... my windows was so messed up, I couldnt wait to get it off my computer...but if you're really determined to keeps windows...carry on. I have no regrets at all, and if it weren't for my video editing machine, all my computers would be running linux from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by dandruff(lake) View Post
    Hey thanks Jonathan. At this point, I have no interest in a dual-boot system. I just want ubuntu on my HD. But I would take anything that would install right now.
    The problem I am currently having with the Ubuntu install is what has been going on in my "updates" as I posted above. It keeps like "resetting" on that screen. It has done it again and I don't know what to do. It will lag and then it will reset that screen as if I never picked anything.
    The Ubuntu live CD I have has a check CD integrity ... or something similar option at startup. Does your CD have this check & have you run it to check the CD is good?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the new posts. And I did run a CD check before I first installed Ubuntu. I am pretty sure I did, and I do recall it turning out okay.

Just Joined!
    I dont seem to understand this point! How can one install Liniux onto ones comp from a LIVE CD???? I thought a live CD was meant for a live running of the OS form the CD as the place having the OS files therby not requiring a copy og the OS on the Hard disk or the memory!
    Correct me if i am wrong.

And by the way while having a problem to install your Ubuntu why dont you request Ubuntu to send a copy of the OS! They ship it free in 4 to 6 weeks time.
    I guess you have been strugling so long with this CD for a while

Also request for copies from various distributions... A lot of them Ship them free of charge! It wont hurt more than the time sent in filling up your address for everyone.

Also i had told you that it might take time for the memory tests in hours but the instalations should be over by an hour.

Also i would like you to try this.
    Try the instlation both with the internet connected once and without any connection what so ever. Because once the formating and instalation is done there would be a check for internet connections and an automatic update might go on. Now this might go onnnnnnnn based on the conection speeds and bits transferedper second in the connection then.
    So try disabling it if yoy can or pretend like as if you dont have internet at all,,,

Quote Originally Posted by br_prashant View Post
    I dont seem to understand this point! How can one install Liniux onto ones comp from a LIVE CD???? I thought a live CD was meant for a live running of the OS form the CD as the place having the OS files therby not requiring a copy og the OS on the Hard disk or the memory!
    Correct me if i am wrong.
    Corrected. The term "LiveCD" simply means that the OS itself can be run from the CD media without the need to install it first to a physical harddrive. It does not mean that the environment that is loaded cannot also give you the option to install to that harddrive.

In the past companies like SuSE have released non-installable LiveCDs that were used for demonstration purposes. I do not believe many distributions (if any) still do this, since it's now more common to at least offer the option of a harddrive install from within the LiveCD environment.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Okay I have an update to my situation. As I documented above, I was trying to install Ubuntu again last night. I kept having the problem of certain screens "resetting" and I tried various things. I seemed to be making more progress than I did in the past. I can't remember exactly what I did but things seemed to be going better even if they were lagging. And that one screen kept resetting. Well, somehow I got around that screen which kept resetting and I was able to proceed with an installation procedure. However, at one point, the installation program just closes completely. I don't know why, it just closed. I tried to restart it and it wouldn't restart and the system started lagging. I tried a reboot in the hope that maybe it installed and Ubuntu would boot up, but nothing was changed at all. So I gave the Vista installation another go. It took me a while, but the Vista installation program(to my surprise) actually went into full gear and was seemingly doing fine(but running like a snail). It told me Vista was installed and it needed to start for the first time. It froze on the initial start and I powered down the system and figured I would worry about the next day. So today I power up the system and I am asked how I would like to start Vista since it failed to start the last time. I chose normal startup and it actually went well and began a long configuration process. Once that was over Vista loaded normally and everything is working fine so far. I finally have a fully functional, harddrive installed OS again. So right now I am typing this on Vista *gasp* lol
    I would have much rather had Ubuntu install, but I got Vista. I think there was a huge partitioning issue, and I suspect that maybe Vista installed because it was more likely to completely "kill" prior partitions and reformat them. And I suspect GRUB had something to do with my install/partition problems too. But I am not sure, that is just speculation.
    So here I am stuck with Vista again. I guess it's not *all* bad, but I would rather be running a Linux distro. I don't want to screw everything up again though(don't rock the boat, if it aint broke don't fix it, let sleeping dogs lie...etc). So I may get one of those tiny little distros like Puppy or *SL(I am superstitious), and run it off of a CD for a temporary Linux fix. But I'm not sure. I would be *very* interested in a program that will format my entire harddrive to get it ready for a Linux distro. I liked Ubuntu, but I kind of want to try something else now due to my experience.
    Thanks to everyone for your help. I still want to run Linux, and I may pop in the Ubuntu CD every now and then, but more likely I will make a new CD for Puppy Linux. I would still like to know what happened though. And I'm not letting my hardware completely off the hook yet. I am going to run that memory check using the Ubuntu CD(or some other equally thorough check), and I will try to find some diagnostics for my HD. Maybe I'll give that Ultimate Boot CD a go. But thanks again to everyone.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast