Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Okay i see you are online form your Vista. Good as long as you have something better than nothing . If you would like to know how much of your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Okay i see you are online form your Vista.
    Good as long as you have something better than nothing .
    If you would like to know how much of your disk has been partitioned then add all the maximum sizes of the drives listed in the Computer.
    Or if you want to see and change the sizes of partitions in Vista then hwait for about half hour.
    I have another laptop that runs Vista.
    Ill give you the step by step procedure to make enough room for the newer linux versions that you might want to install.

Just Joined!
    Well
    Click start
    Type "Computer Management" in the search and open the app that is listed
    Click continue to give administration priv.
    On the left hand side frame Select Storage -> Disk Management
    Delete all partitions that you would like to delete except for C: that houses the windows root(C by default or the first one)
    {You can delete by right clicking on the partition on the graph and Delete}
    Also resize the C drive by shrinking it to the maximum possible.

Note: As you are very interested in maintaining only linux please keep only one primary partition for windows as you can have only 4 max primary partitions.
    Also as you would not be using Vista any longer ater setteling with a steady Linux Distro like i had cited in my experience I would advice you to have just one partition as small as possible for windows and get a proper linux distro after a little expirimenting on the un parttioned side.

Quote Originally Posted by dandruff(lake) View Post
    Okay I have an update to my situation. As I documented above, I was trying to install Ubuntu again last night. ...

So I gave the Vista installation another go. ...

I finally have a fully functional, harddrive installed OS again. So right now I am typing this on Vista *gasp* lol
    I would have much rather had Ubuntu install, but I got Vista. I think there was a huge partitioning issue, and I suspect that maybe Vista installed because it was more likely to completely "kill" prior partitions and reformat them. And I suspect GRUB had something to do with my install/partition problems too. But I am not sure, that is just speculation. ... ...

I am going to run that memory check using the Ubuntu CD(or some other equally thorough check), and I will try to find some diagnostics for my HD. Maybe I'll give that Ultimate Boot CD a go. But thanks again to everyone.
    Great to hear you have an OS on your PC again. Before you start playing with partitions and operating systems again I strongly recommend you burn the following CDs:-
    1. SuperGrub CD - this will help you get an OS going again if you run into trouble.
    2. GParted (or PartedMagic) CD - this will let you easily resize partitions.
    3. RIP (or system recovery) CD - this will help you get data and restore deleted partitions.
    4. Ultimate boot CD - so you can give the hardware a thorough test if you have problems in future.

Vista can resize partitions but I think resizing a partition which does not have an OS running the machine is a safer bet. When you do go for a resize on the Vista partition don't push the setup too far (GParted tells you the minimum partition size - if it says 40GB I would stop at 50GB - Vista is still likely to run then). Don't let the first Linux distro take up the rest of the disk, that way you can always try another disto install without a big panic over resizing existing partitions.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys for the recommendations.

Jonathan,
    I will definitely burn those CD's(at least a couple of the one's you mentioned) before I attempt another partition or OS install. I am kind of afraid of GRUB though. This weekend I may attempt to wipe this HD and put Ubuntu back on, or OpenSuse on. I originally wasn't going to try something so soon, but Vista is taking forever to load and I can't stand that $#!%. But I may just keep Vista on here for a bit longer and satisfy my linux cravings with a small distro like *SL or Puppy.
    But I have a question about those small distros. If someone is running them off of a CD(like how Puppy was intended) and they need to store files, how do they save their files? I guess if their HD is functional they put the files on there. But where? What if they have no other OS on that HD? Do they just put the files on a USB thumbdrive? Or a writable CD drive(of course, that is if they have a free extra drive because their OS running in one of the CD/DVD drives). I would think there would be a lot of software developers on Linux, so would it be stupid of them to bother with one of those small distros running only off of a CD?

Thanks guys for the recommendations.

... I am kind of afraid of GRUB though.
    Glad we could help ... Grub can take a bit of getting used to but the SuperGrub CD can usually get you out of trouble

This weekend I may attempt to wipe this HD and put Ubuntu back on, or OpenSuse on. I originally wasn't going to try something so soon, but Vista is taking forever to load and I can't stand that $#!%. But I may just keep Vista on here for a bit longer and satisfy my linux cravings with a small distro like *SL or Puppy.
    If I were you I'd burn a couple of live CDs and give them a try ... take a look on Distrowatch. You might want to try out LinuxMint as well (it's Ubuntu based but looks quite different).

But I have a question about those small distros. If someone is running them off of a CD(like how Puppy was intended) and they need to store files, how do they save their files? I guess if their HD is functional they put the files on there. But where? What if they have no other OS on that HD? Do they just put the files on a USB thumbdrive? Or a writable CD drive(of course, that is if they have a free extra drive because their OS running in one of the CD/DVD drives). I would think there would be a lot of software developers on Linux, so would it be stupid of them to bother with one of those small distros running only off of a CD?
    Some versions can be run from a USB thumbdrive - including DSL. Development is taking place in lots of areas ... including small distros & even versions that run within Windows.

Good luck with the PC and start a new thread if you have questions about specific distros etc.

Linux Newbie
    glad you got at least one OS installed... to me, the ONLY thing worth a crap about vista, is it is way easier to partition than xp. there is a video on youtube of some kid doing it in great detail. hope all goes well.

Just Joined!
    Okay, sorry for bringing this thread back to the top, but I have a question for Prashant, or anyone who has an answer. I ran the Ubuntu CD's memory test for 7 hours and 21 minutes. It registered 21 passes and 0 errors. I figured 7h 21min was enough time for that, and I stopped the test. So is it safe to assume that my RAM is fine?

Also, I made an Ultimate Boot CD and a Gparted CD. I was going to make a SuperGRUB CD but I couldn't find the rest of my CD-R's. I ran one of the HD diagnostics and it turned out fine. But it was the shorter diagnostic, which lasted like 8 minutes on my system. But I guess that's good anyway. I plan on running a more thorough test. But at this point it seems that you were right Prashant about my hardware being fine. And I am happy about that.
    Vista is lagging like crazy at bootup, and so I plan on getting rid of it and using Gparted to clear my HD of all partitions, and then I will put Ubuntu back on(or OpenSUSE when I get some new CD-Rs or RWs).
    Unless a significant update for Vista is created(ala Windows 98 SE) I don't see myself using it very much. Microsoft will probably just abandon it and admit failure like they did with Windows ME. So I will probably end up primarily just using Linux single-boot, and then maybe buy XP later and run a Linux/XP system. Thanks for your replies.

Just Joined!
    Your hardware is all fine!!!
    7hr21min with no errors. Now i am not an expert in interpreting results but this looks good enough to tell that its fine.

To be honest, the first time i heard of anything called a Gparted CD or Ultimate Booot CD is in this thread and i dont know what they are for. If you feel you can carry on using it fine, good.

With respect to the OS i would still tell you to get a few distros written or get a free copy sent to you.
    I have applied for mine to Kububtu and hope ill get it in a fortnight.
    Also OpenSuse is good as far as i have seen it.So try getting to download it somehow.

Also this goes to people who have got a CD from Ubuntu ! Is there somone who has got it? If so how many.
    The only person whome i have heard from is a friend of mine who got about 20 copies and this was a year back totally free of cost!!!

Just Joined!
    Hi Prashant and everyone. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my hardware is probably fine. As another update, I went ahead and proceeded with my plan to use GParted to destroy all partitions on the HD(this time it was one) thereby attempt a clean install. It worked great!(btw thanks Jonathan for recommending GParted)I am running completely off of a full harddrive-installed copy of Ubuntu right now, on a single-boot system. So my computer is a 100% Linux system right now. Everything runs and loads fast, crisp, and clean. All of the s**tty lagginess is gone. I am now basically certain that the root of my problems were partitioning issues and not hardware problems. So again you were right about that Prashant. And we are probably both right also about Vista being the root of the partitioning issues. Vista SUX. Not just for it's dual-boot incompatibility issues, but it is just inherently slow and B-L-O-A-T-E-D. But man, I am so new to Linux so I've got a lot to learn. I know enough to to basic stuff because the GNOME GUI is intuitive and similar to Windows to an extent. But I am lost when it comes to any true knowledge of how Linux works and how to truly use it, especially at the command line. But anyway, I need to find a tutorial. But man, I am so happy right now. The install went so smooth after I used GParted and everything is running great(knock on wood). Thanks again everyone. I may put a link to this thread in my signature so other new users can learn from this like I did, in case they run into the same issues.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4