Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am a complete newb, so please pardon any ignorance on my part. I've been doing some research, and have decided to use the Ubuntu distro, as it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

About to install, x64 or x86/NVidia 8600m GT Drivers?

Hello all,

I am a complete newb, so please pardon any ignorance on my part.

I've been doing some research, and have decided to use the Ubuntu distro, as it sounds as though it is the easiest transition from a Windows environment and will make a good stepping stone into the world of Linux.

I am currently running on an Inspiron 1720, and my specs are as follows:

Intel T7500 Core 2 Duo processor
    2 GB RAM
    NVidia 8600M GT 256MB video card

While my laptop came with a 32-bit Windows operating system, it is my understanding that all Core 2 Duo processors are 64-bit capable, and that I would be doing myself a favor in downloading the x64 distribution to take full advantage of my processor. Is that correct?

Also, NVidia does not appear to provide support for mobile video cards; referring me to Dell to obtain a video card driver. Dell, though, doesn't appear to offer support for Linux. Does anyone know where I can obtain this driver (I'd like to have it ready before trying my install, as I think it will make things MUCH easier).

I've tried to do my research beforehand, but if I've overlooked a simple google search, any links would also be appreciated (I don't mind doing the leg-work, but haven't been able to gain concrete info).

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

i just searched nvidia driver, and their latest driver supports your card.

No real reason to use 64 bit OS yet if you aren't using more than 4 gb of ram really, most of the x64 apps are just compiled for x64 with no actual programming having been done to take advantage of the architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by lament4phaedrus View Post
    I am currently running on an Inspiron 1720, and my specs are as follows:

Intel T7500 Core 2 Duo processor
    2 GB RAM
    NVidia 8600M GT 256MB video card

While my laptop came with a 32-bit Windows operating system, it is my understanding that all Core 2 Duo processors are 64-bit capable, and that I would be doing myself a favor in downloading the x64 distribution to take full advantage of my processor. Is that correct?
    No, it is not correct. As coopstah mentioned, the only practical reason for running a 64-bit OS at this point in time is to utilize 4GB of RAM or more. Unless you're looking to immediately max out your laptop, that really isn't a concern for you.

I've done a lot of research on my own using a 64-bit desktop and I've not found many positives other than that. You're opening yourself up for possible software incompatibilities and unstable drivers.

Also, NVidia does not appear to provide support for mobile video cards; referring me to Dell to obtain a video card driver. Dell, though, doesn't appear to offer support for Linux. Does anyone know where I can obtain this driver (I'd like to have it ready before trying my install, as I think it will make things MUCH easier).
    The latest driver from Nvidia does indeed support your card. It only came out a few days ago, so I'd look again if you didn't see it the first time. They can be found here:

Unix Drivers Portal Page

I've tried to do my research beforehand, but if I've overlooked a simple google search, any links would also be appreciated (I don't mind doing the leg-work, but haven't been able to gain concrete info).

Thanks in advance,
    Tim
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants