Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, so i have my beloved ibm x30 laptop: 1.2ghz pIII, 512mb ram, 40gb hdd not a really old pc, just an "older" one i want to be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which distro for ibm x30 with dual-boot windows

ok, so i have my beloved ibm x30 laptop: 1.2ghz pIII, 512mb ram, 40gb hdd

not a really old pc, just an "older" one

i want to be able to run windows xp ( i have an xp pro sp2 cd) and also linux

so two questions:
    1. suggest a distro
    2. how to install my dual-boot

i've been using ubuntu on my laptop and honestly it's been pretty heavy on the system resources; my cpu is often maxed just web surfing, even though i turned off the "eye candy", not sure why that is; otherwise, everything works out of the box with ubuntu or xubuntu (tried that a bit too, didn't seem any faster than ubuntu, but does use less ram), my audio, wireless, all good

is there another distro i might try that would be light on system resources but be a beginner distro? i want a straightforward easy-to-use distro, i'm a beginner, don't want to be using command line much

how do i go about installing?

Just Joined!
    Try Fluxbuntu as a light alternative.
    Get

I tried Xubuntu but was disappointed at the lack of performance improvement. So far (I just installed it) Fluxbuntu is running a lot faster than Xubuntu on my P3 600Mhz 128MB system.
    Installation was exactly the same as installing other Ubuntu derivatives and for dual booting I suggest googling it as there is a lot of info about that.

Install any lightweight distro. Check this Poll. Nobody can tell which one is best for you. Try as many as you can. You have to decide yourself.

Dual boot is default in all distros. Create free space for Linux and select free space in Partition Section during installation. Installer will create/format partitions out of free space and set dual boot itself.

If you have any other question, feel free to start a new thread. Thread Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First