Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
can any one give me a fully detailed explanation on how to install the nvidia drivers...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can any one give me a fully detailed explanation on how to install the nvidia drivers

after entering the runlevel, cd your way to the folder with the driver, then type
    Code:
    ./<nvidadrivername>
    it wil run a script to install.
    that's it!
    then reboot. when nvidia logo appears you have succesfuly installed the drivers. then the only thing you have to do is to enable 3d support.
    manually check the /etyc/X11/xf86config to see which section module. it shouldn't contain "dri". then check section device and make sure that driver is set to "nvidia" not nv.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I figured the whole cd"ing thing now when i try to install it tells me that i cant i get this error
    ERROR:this .run file is intended for the linux-x86_64 platform,but you appear to be running on linux-x86.Abotying installation
    how would i go about fixing this or did i download the wrong file

Linux Newbie
    It looks like you downloaded the package for 64-bit processor architectures, when you don't have one. Download the regular x86 package instead.

Just Joined!
    ok now thati downloaded the right one and i run it it says somehting about the kernel i think i need to update it how would i go about doing this

Linux Newbie
    Could you please post the exact error message?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Linux_newb
    I figured the whole cd"ing thing now when i try to install it tells me that i cant i get this error
    ERROR:this .run file is intended for the linux-x86_64 platform,but you appear to be running on linux-x86.Abotying installation
    how would i go about fixing this or did i download the wrong file
    It sounds like you downloaded the 64bit driver, and you have a 32bit processor.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    ok now when i try to install the right updated drivers for mandrake it starts of good i press accept for the license aggrements and then this
    ERROR:unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.Please make sure that you have installed the kernel source files for youre kernel:on redhat linux systems,for example,be sure you have the "kernel-dource"rpm installed you mayspcify the kernel source path with the "--kernel-source-path" commandline option

Linux Newbie
    OK, it wants to know where the source code for your kernel is. I don't think Mandrake 10 installs this by default, but if you're still using the default kernel, you should download this:
    http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/mandrak...7mdk.i586.html
    and install it. Install it by cd-ing to the directory to which you downloaded it and typing, as root,
    Code:
    rpm -i kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm
    (actually, once you type a bit of that filename you should be able to just press tab and have Linux fill in the rest for you).

Once this package is installed, you shouldn't get that error message anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2