Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i was wondering if any one could recommend a site for a vm instalation to run a lynux os with out having to redo my hard drive, as there is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

new to the whole shibang

i was wondering if any one could recommend a site for a vm instalation to run a lynux os with out having to redo my hard drive, as there is some things i would like not to lose right now.
    i am not so familiar with computers these day i am learning all over i stopped using them when windows still had a dos program
    the reason i ask is i am learning how to build a desk top and instead of windows(corporate....) i wanted to get used to the linux/unix type format i guess you would call it.
    if there is a way to reconfigure my hard drive and install the linux os with out losing my info on it i would prefer to have the os as another option at start up.

Hi and Welcome !

Its very easy to install Linux along with Windows OS in same Hard Disk. I have Windows XP + 6 Linux distributions in single harddisk.
    Just create free space, 8-10GB is more than enough, for Linux. Start installation and select free space in Partitioning Section. Installer will create/format partitions out of free space and set up dual boot itself.
    Back up data before starting installation.

Good Luck !!
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, deadmnky!

All the different distros install pretty much automatically and without destroying your Windows installation, like casper advised above.

Take a look at the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux. You'll find a couple of quizzes there that will help you to pick a distribution. Once you decide on a distribution or two to try, start new threads with any questions you should have about them.

The main thing is to have fun with Linux...
    oz

thank you i did manage to gert dyne:bolic loaded up on the hard disc with the live cd as a boot option. working on how get everything set up right now stil have mad reading to do.

Good for you! If you have any questions, just ask!

You can always run of a LiveCD, it's slow, but you'll get a taste before you commit to installing.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

i did the whole live cd thing too slow for me. so i did it the other way. when i build my new pc i am going to leave liek 3 partitions to try different versions i think. have tons of questions dont knwo where to start.
    i guess i dont quite know how to configure the devices.
    what are the vid numbers or id number that they ask for when setting up a new account.
    also what group do i want the first account under.
    i think the vid number is the ping number for online maybe

I dont know what vid number is. Whenever you create new account, Linux creates new Group itself and joins new user with other necessary groups. Execute id command to check groups and other details.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

i gues the vid # is the same as the id number so it says for some reason it does not remember the accounts when i set thm up

didnt think ir needed a new link

what are the "deamon"s you were talking about. what do they do where can they be found.

Deamons are processes running in the background.
    If you're interested in this sort of thing, try this:
    Code:
    ps aux | less
    This gives you a complete list of all running processes on your machine. It's a good habit to read the man page before running an unknown command, so first:
    Code:
    man ps
    Oh! And about the VID number, might you have mean UID number? Every user get's a name and a number. For the number you can use the systems default choice, unless you have a reason not to (existing installations, networking, etcetera).
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast