Find the answer to your Linux question:
what would be the first place to start after getting linux booted up. setup configuration and all that...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

got linux booted where to start

what would be the first place to start after getting linux booted up. setup configuration and all that

Congrats!
    Which Distro are you using? What would you particularly like to setup or optimize?
    The Linux Documentation Project is always a good place to visit.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

* Update OS
    * Install packages that are not pre-installed.
    * Customization -- assign shortcut keys, stop unnecessary daemons, setup theme, fonts etc.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

well i guess everything from securing my comp to kernal updates. i was not too familiar with windows before either so that is another reason why i am switching to the linux os i might as well get used to one and make it the better one.
    the os i have to installed on my laptop is a debian based called dyne:bolic. it is installed on the hard drive with a win os
    since i am not really familiar with any of them i picked one and used it to get the basic feel for the operating system. more overwhelmed than any thing and retarded to the tech jargon.
    i was thinking of setting up the pc when it gets here for 3 os one for a server down the road
    one for a music studio
    one for a pic and movie studio
    this i want to be more multi media

With the risk of stating the obvious, just get comfortable with your new system.
    There is no real road map of what to do now that you are set up. Adjust the looks of your desktop... so that it makes you feel more at /home.
    Browse around the filesystem. Plug in some extra hardware and see if it works the way you want it. And gradually put the system through it's paces, testing everything you might need in the future.

And it is always time well spend to read the sticky in the security section of this forum
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    Like the others said, it's really up to you to explore your new Linux system and to decide what you like and don't like. Once you get your feet wet and see that Linux isn't so hard, you might want to experiment with some other distributions to find the one that really suites your personal tastes, and your computer hardware.

Be curious, and dig in. If you break something, work to fix it. Add the applications you want and remove those you don't want. Help others here on the forums. It's all part of the learning process.

Above all, have fun with Linux!
    oz

thank you i guess thats all i was doing didnt really know. i personally dont know any one who uses it in my area. the one kid i do know that knows seem to know about as much as me. i was not too familiar with windows thats why i ask what you should do
    thank you