Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've searched the forums, and it seems that the problems people have posted in the past have had to do with encoding to mp3 or ogg (and the slowness of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Cd Ripping very s...l...o...w...l...y

I've searched the forums, and it seems that the problems people have posted in the past have had to do with encoding to mp3 or ogg (and the slowness of these processes) I just upgraded to FC2 (from RH9) and when I go to rip a cd to the HD (just as a .wav) the ripper slows down to 0.2X or even 0.1X. Under RH9 (with the same hardware, and using the same program, Grip) my ripping speeds were closer to 6X or 10X. I've tried SoundJuicer, Grip, and the cdda2wav command line utility all with the same results. Any Ideas??

ps. My cd drive is a dvd-rom/CD-rw assigned to /dev/hdc. I have a symbolic link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc. Don't know if this makes a difference
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

add, first, just check your ide cables to make sure that they are all connected correctly, and 100%. It might have somthing to do with your kernel's device support..but that seems unlikly in fedora as i think that kernel is compiled w/ support for pretty much everything...
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    I have managed to rip one CD (it took many hours) , so I think the support exists (The KsCD cd player works fine) I'm gonna go and check the ide cables though, just in case.
    N3WO

im sure that it has some form of support, but a incorrect driver could theoreticaly slow down the data rate, but heres a question, how do files copy from the drive normaly? place a cd in the drive and just copy the contents to a folder and see what the data rate is, (thoreticaly, you could get as high as 30, but expect a maintained 15-20 depending on hd access speed and ram available) If this takes a ridicouls time, then its a drive problem/system problem, ifits just ripping, look at your confiugration for ripping ,mabey you have some form of encoding enabled that is absured, or something is done incorrectly (like error checkin 20000 times) Let me know the results of this little experiemnt.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Well I tried copying my FC2 installation cd to the HD, and the transfer rate was around 1Mb/sec. I then investigated Grip, and found that it had "paranoia" and "extra paranoia" enabled. When I disabled both of these, the ripping speed got up to 7-10X. Is paranoia important? If not, you've solved my problem Thanks
    N3WO

yeah, its basicaly scanning everything like 5 times before it actualy recored it to the drive, whitch would explain the slow speeds.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    OK, thanks very much. I'll check that the settings are fixed in other rippers, or I'll just use Grip, either one works!
    N3WO

Linux Engineer
    also make sure that you have dma support set to on.you can do it with
    Code:
    hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom(the device u want)
    try this,maybe makes a difference
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Seattle, WA or Lewisburg, PA. Depending on time of year.
    Alright, this is another question I thought I'd add to this list, especially about paranoia on grip. I figured, without checking it out, that paranoia is basically some sort of error detection, so the sound quality is better if you're ripping with it.

Is this true only on heavily damaged cd's? or is it true in genereal? or is it true at all? I mean, I'll live with 2x speed ripping if its got no skips in places where cd players might skip, but I'd rather ask some knowing folks.

thanks for any info.

wont do anything if your cd is pristine, but the more scratchs you have, more 'paranioa' will help out. It just tries to 'guess' what should go were the scrated parts of the disk are.

Formerly Known as qub333