Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am brand new user with linux Kubuntu and I just would like when I installed the kubuntu if I can work directly in the root or if I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Root in Kubuntu

I am brand new user with linux Kubuntu and I just would like when I installed the kubuntu if I can work directly in the root or if I have to add users and how do I do that? Excuse me if this is stupid lijke I said I am completely new and a bit nervous.

Linux User
    Kubuntu doesn't use the usual Root system. The first person to install usually has Root powers. They are given for a short time when you use sudo (and not su). You don't need to create users if there aren't any except yourself.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, courmax!

You should never need to log directly in the root account, but you should work under your user account using sudo, or su, instead.

See this HowTo for more information on su vs sudo in Ubuntu:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...in-ubuntu.html
    oz

try distros

I just wanted to suggest that you try several distros and see what feels best for you. You can use live cd's and just play around for a couple days with each. You should check out the differences between Gnome and KDE distros. Some of the ones you might want to try:

Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Fedora Core
    Debian

Those are four that I know quite a few people use. I have personally used Fedora Core, Red Hat, Ubuntu and Kubuntu and it was only after trying a few that I found a comfort level with one and finally was able to almost completely phase out Windows.

Lastly, Linux has a great community of support, at some point you'll probably feel like ripping your hair out but if you are a little patient the benefits of open souce are fantastic.