Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How do set up dual boot for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu desktop version? Should I install Fedora first then use Gpart to install Ubuntu?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dual boot Fedora 8 & Ubuntu desktop version?

How do set up dual boot for Fedora 8 and Ubuntu desktop version?

Should I install Fedora first then use Gpart to install Ubuntu?

Hi and Welcome !

Install Fedora first but create partitions for Fedora before installation. Fedora creates LVM by default and its a bit tricky to handle LVMs.
    Create three partition using GParted CD.
    1. SWAP - 512MB is enough.
    2. ext3 -- 8-10GB for Fedora /
    3. ext3 -- 8-10GB for Ubuntu /

Start Fedora installation and assign / mount point to ext3 partition. Installer will detect SWAP itself. Leave other ext3 partition as it is.

Start Ubuntu installation and assign / mount point to second ext3 partition. Ubuntu installer will detect and use same SWAP partition and setup dual boot itself.
    If you have any confusion, create partitions and execute 'fdisk -l' command in Gparted or Ubuntu LiveCD's Terminal. Post output here.

Good Luck !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Install Fedora first but create partitions for Fedora before installation. Fedora creates LVM by default and its a bit tricky to handle LVMs.
    Create three partition using GParted CD.
    1. SWAP - 512MB is enough.
    2. ext3 -- 8-10GB for Fedora /
    3. ext3 -- 8-10GB for Ubuntu /

Start Fedora installation and assign / mount point to ext3 partition. Installer will detect SWAP itself. Leave other ext3 partition as it is.

Start Ubuntu installation and assign / mount point to second ext3 partition. Ubuntu installer will detect and use same SWAP partition and setup dual boot itself.
    If you have any confusion, create partitions and execute 'fdisk -l' command in Gparted or Ubuntu LiveCD's Terminal. Post output here.

Good Luck !
    hi devils_casper

Will fedora install work if ubuntu was installed first? I currently have a dual-boot XP/Ubuntu system (which you helped me with, btw), and I am pondering over installing either Fedora or SUSE. I have two free ext3 partitions, and I was thinking of installing fedora on one of them (or / on one and /home for the other), and maybe either Linux Mint or SUSE on the other.
    Last edited by conradinsf; 01-18-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: corrected detail

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    When installing Linux distros, it usually does not matter what distribution (or operating system) was installed first.

In all these posts, everyone seems to have preference for one linux flavor over another. I just want to "taste" all these flavors, and I can therefore make an educated choice in the end which flavor (or flavors) to use for my machine. I have the space on my comp (as well as the horsepower under the hood), so I figured maybe I will play around with all these "distros"

I am a complete newb with regards to Linux, but I think my learning curve has been quite steep the past few weeks. However, I have tons of things to learn, and I think the best way to get this education and experience is by running through the gauntlet.

Feel free sing along...

"We're off to Linux-space
    We're leaving leaving Microsoft
    To save the human race
    Our Star Blazers"

I would suggest you to install Fedora before Ubuntu. Fedora Installer doesn't detect other installed Linux distros and doesn't setup Multiboot. You have to edit conf files yourself.

Ubuntu installer will detect Fedora and setup multiboot itself.

How much more difficult will it be?

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    I would suggest you to install Fedora before Ubuntu. Fedora Installer doesn't detect other installed Linux distros and doesn't setup Multiboot. You have to edit conf files yourself.

Ubuntu installer will detect Fedora and setup multiboot itself.
    I have Ubuntu already installed (dual boot with XP), and configured properly to functionality. I have two more ext3 partitions available. Will it be possible to install Fedora on a free ext3 partition, and then reinstall Ubuntu (/root) without formatting the ext3 partition containing /home after the Fedora install so that Ubuntu can setup multiboot with Fedora?

I guess I would just like to avoid another Ubuntu install, but if it would be easier to install Fedora first, then Ubuntu after Fedora, then I guess I would prefer that to be last resort.
    Last edited by conradinsf; 01-21-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by conradinsf View Post
    I have Ubuntu already installed (dual boot with XP), and configured properly to functionality. I have two more ext3 partitions available. Will it be possible to install Fedora on a free ext3 partition, and then reinstall Ubuntu (/root) without formatting the ext3 partition containing /home after the Fedora install so that Ubuntu can setup multiboot with Fedora?

I guess I would just like to avoid another Ubuntu install, but if it would be easier to install Fedora first, then Ubuntu after Fedora, then I guess I would prefer that to be last resort.
    You should be able to do this ... Ubuntu installer seems to insist on formatting Ubuntu root as a minimum ... I don't remember it insisting on formatting the home area but be careful - it may try to do this by default.

Quote Originally Posted by conradinsf

I wont suggest you to re-install Ubuntu. Just install Fedora in free ext3 partition. During installation select root partition of Fedora as install location of GRUB. Type /dev/sdx GRUB install location.
    After Fedora installation, add this code in Ubuntu's menu.lst file
    Code:
    title Fedora 
    rootnoverify (hd0,x)
    chainloader +1
    Replace x with root partition number - 1.
    Or
    Dont change anything in Fedora GRUB install section. Add Ubuntu's entry in Fedora's grub.conf file after installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan183 View Post
    You should be able to do this ... Ubuntu installer seems to insist on formatting Ubuntu root as a minimum ... I don't remember it insisting on formatting the home area but be careful - it may try to do this by default.
    Ubuntu install only requires the / partition to be formatted, and does not require /home to be formatted. I've done it enough times the past few weeks to remember this and fortunately enough so that I don't lose all of my files, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast