Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i know there are many, like redhat, fedora, slakcware, etc... I am wondering though, they all have the kernel to run on top of, and it seems they all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What exactly is a distribution?

Ok, i know there are many, like redhat, fedora, slakcware, etc... I am wondering though, they all have the kernel to run on top of, and it seems they all have a desktop environment, like KDE or GNOME, to show...so...where does a ditribution fit in? Say you have 2 machines, one with Fedora, and one with SuSE, both having the same kernel, both having, say, KDE. How will i spot the difference?

a distrobution is nothing more then a collection of programs that all intereact to perforam functions. Different distorbutions have differnet collections and some have unique programs made just for there collection (portage,yast). also most will have diffeernt artwork. Also some distrobutiions have custom kernels and versions of programs. As far as functionality goes, the only major difference is installation, becasue after that, almost every distro can be however you want it to be. Im sure there are more techinical informations, but thats the general idea as i have learned it.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333