Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright i downloaded the nvidia driver and when i try to install, it tells me that it cant run on the kernel and then it builds one and says that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems installing Nvidia drivers

Alright i downloaded the nvidia driver and when i try to install, it tells me that it cant run on the kernel and then it builds one and says that i cant run on that build can anyone plz help

Linux Newbie
    What distro? What release/version? What kernel? Have you installed kernel source? Do you have binutils installed?
    Info is key to getting an answer.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    im using mandrake 100 and i have no clue on how to install the kernel source

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    wait, did you run the nvida install script? if so, and your getting theses erroes, we can help best with the exact error message that you are getting.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    ERROR:unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.please make sure you have installed ther kernel source files for your kernel ;on Redhat linux systems ,for example,be sure you have the 'kernel-source'rpm installed you may specifythe kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' commandline option

Linux Newbie
    DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE READ TO THE END!!!
    PLEASE, READ ALL THE WAY TO THE END. PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR WRITE DOWN THE COMMANDS!!!
    ONCE YOU ENTER telinit 3 X WILL CLOSE AND YOU WON'T HAVE THIS PAGE FOR A REFERENCE!!!
    I ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU FAIL TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER AND END UP SCREWING SOMETHING UP!!!

Open Mandrake control center. You'll find it at K-Menu-->Configuration-->Configure Your Computer. A dialogue will open asking for root's password. Enter root's password there.

MCC will open. Click on Software Management. Click on Install Software. RPMDrake will start. In the search box, type kernel and click search. Scroll down and select kernel-source-2.6.3-7mdk.i586.rpm. Click install. RPMDrake will open your the tray on your cd and ask for the cd it needs. Put that cd in the tray, close the tray and click OK. The kernel source will install.

When that step is complete, type binutils in the search box and click search. Select binutils and libbinutils from the results(should be the only results). Click Install. The thing with the CD will repeat unless the packages are on the cd that's already in the drive.

Repeat the above for mc(Type mc in the search yada yada).

You now have the necessary software to proceed.

Right now, go ahead and open /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 in an editor with root privelege by opening Konsole and entering the following:
    Code:
    su
    Password&#58;<enter root's password here>
    mcedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    Look for the section that looks similar(it will be almost the same. My card is a different model so the section is slightly different) to this:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier "device1"
        VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR &#40;generic&#41;"
        Driver "nv"
        Option "DPMS"
    EndSection
    Notice this line:
    Code:
    Driver "nv"
    Change it to:
    Code:
    Driver "nvidia"
    Hit F2 to save and F10 to exit.
    You should sill have the Konsole open with root privelege. At the prompt, enter:
    Code:
    telinit 3
    This will shut down the X server but leave everything else up and running. You do this because the nVidia driver won't build with X running.

Now, you should have a login prompt. Log in as root and do the following.
    Code:
    cd /directory/containing/nvidia/package
    Of course, you'll want to change /directory/containing/nvidia/package to the actual path to the directory. IE, if I were to download it to my home directory it would be /home/james
    Now enter:
    Code:
    sh NVIDIA*.run
    Accept the license agreement, click ok or yes to the next couple of questions and the driver will build and install.

Finally, at the prompt, enter:
    Code:
    telinit 5
    To restart the X server with the new nVidia driver running.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    thank you after 5 fcking days i have now installed the nvidia drivers now to see why there are wrong color displays on my avi movies