Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
well ppl i'm 17 yr old jus started my comp engg..had heard a lot bout linux wanted to try it on my old system..decided on linux from scratch..know jus a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation suggestions on Linux from scratch

well ppl i'm 17 yr old jus started my comp engg..had heard a lot bout linux wanted to try it on my old system..decided on linux from scratch..know jus a li'l bit of c otherwise no idea of programming..any suggestions on whether or not i should go ahead with this..
    really appriceate ur help..

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't personally recommend Linux From Scratch at all to become your first Linux distro, but if you are sure you are up to it, get after it, and have fun.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!

Confused

actually i don use that computer for anythin and it doesnt hav a internet connection..so i jus wanted to ask u would it still be better to start my linux experince with somethin else cause then i wouldnt want to use it...i was thinkin with linux from scratch i get to know everythin bout things and how do they work and i like challenges so i'll do the thing and use linux or another option i have is that i hav puppy linux in my pen drive..so should i start usin it to get acquainted..??
    sorry i'm a li'l too confused..

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are also going to be experimenting with other distros on another computer, then I think having a side computer with a build of LFS going on it would probably be fine.

Otherwise, going directly to LFS is like saying you are going to take up mountain climbing and tomorrow you are going to climb Mt. Everest as your first object of interest.

Again, that's just my opinion. I'm certainly not saying it can't be done.

If you really feel that you are up to it, then go for it, have fun with it, and make the most of it, but do let us know how it all works out for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    then suggest a way to conquer mt everest..?? i mean wat should i do that makes me capable to try the linux from scratch..

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    i mean wat should i do that makes me capable to try the linux from scratch..
    I think the only things you need to make yourself capable to try it would be the desire and of course a computer to put it all together on.

Have fun with it and do keep us updated on your progress.
    oz

LFS is a really good way to learn linux BUT it will be very hard for a complete newbie to finish. A lot of the project involves building up a viable toolchain on a host sytem, and using this to compile and install the full system on a separate partition -- so a lot of your time will be spent copy'n'pasting "configure;make;make install" commands from the documentation. If you're not sure what you're doing, this will become very tedious, and you won't learn as much as you'd like.

I'd recommend a slower approach. First install a more mainstream distribution (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.), and get comfortable using that. Get to the stage where you don't have to go back to Windows to do anything, and where you understand things like the partitioning of the hard disk, the bootloader configuration, the X server configs, runlevels, services, virtual terminals, etc. Also, try to use the command line as much as possible (this is something that you might not do at first, but you should try to grow into it).

After that, try a more complex installation like Slackware or Gentoo. Getting these up and running is normally a bit of a challenge, but you'll learn lots more than you did with the distros I mentioned previously.

After all that, then plunge into LFS!

Of course, all this is only my recommendation. If you disagree and want to go straight for LFS, then go for it! Just remember to have fun!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just thinking aloud here...

LFS is like building a car from parts. It'll teach ya about mechanics, but it wont teach you about driving.

I think you'll be a better mechanic when you are already a driver. Because any book can teach you where to put the gearbox, but if you have never switched a gear you'll never know what is important about the placement, adjustment, functionality and appearance of a gearbox.

So I'm with smolloy on this one. Work your way to it. I think you can skip the easier distro's if you want... but that is also because you mentioned an old machine you're willing to dedicate. The easier distro's tend to be the heavier ones as well. Ease comes at the expense of resources.

You may find just what you're looking for in the old hardware section. These tend not to be overly simplified, and may even allow you enough diskspace to consider dual booting. Then you can have one OS for working, and one OS for testing; aka one to build upon, and one to rip apart
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

oz
    forum.guy
    Here ya go, blitz...

This is straight out of the Linux From Scratch FAQ:

General FAQ

If you should do it anyway, be sure to let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks for all the advice guyz..decided on installin xbuntu on my pc and start learin on it..then as u guys said will try mt everest later..by the way now i want to completely delete windows xp and install xbuntu..wat procedure should i follow..??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast