Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
why hasent anyone said debian? if u want anything its apt-get install <package name> and its a fast install, only took me about 15mins from boot to login prompt and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why hasent anyone said debian?
    if u want anything its apt-get install <package name>
    and its a fast install, only took me about 15mins from boot to login prompt
    and thats on a 700mhz cpu.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMcNeil
    why hasent anyone said debian?
    Because the install is too much a PITA for the finished product. Debian-stable is a rock solid distro but the software is just plain old.
    With Slack I can have the same level of stability with more current software and have a desktop/workstation installed, configured and running the GUI of my choosing in less than half-an-hour and that includes the time it takes to download, install and configure proprietary graphics drivers. Slightly longer for a server.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

you downloaded over 1.4 gigs of data and installed it to an ide drive in under a half hour? unless you have fingers that type commands so fast they melt your keyboard, i dont know if that is possible... but i do agree slackware is a simple and fast install. Personaly I like gentoo better (namely the package managment system, and that it installs ONLY WHAT I WANT! NOTHING absolutly NOTHNG extra. I hate it when i finish installing then ps -aux and find all the processes that i dont want, and realize that i have 7 servers running when all i want is samba, BLAH. reguardless, gentoo is nice as it installs nothing that you dont tell it to, and does nothing that you dont want it to.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    Because the install is too much a PITA for the finished product. Debian-stable is a rock solid distro but the software is just plain old.
    OT But i hate comments like this if you move to unstable the packages are just as up to date its simple just edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and change stable to unstable here is there package list http://packages.debian.org/unstable/

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Giro
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    OT But i hate comments like this if you move to unstable the packages are just as up to date its simple just edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and change stable to unstable here is there package list http://packages.debian.org/unstable/
    Hate it all you want. I was talking stable as it is stupid to deploy -testing or -unstable in a production environment(re: a machine that you depend on from day to day). Just as it is stupid to deploy Slack-current. Just as it would be stupid to deploy MDK 10.1B1. Just as it would be stupid to deploy FC3Beta(or whatever they're calling it).
    If the developers can't bring themselves to call it stable, it isn't ready to be put on a production machine.
    Further, regardless whether you're talking about -stable or -testing- or -unstable, Deb is still a PITA and time consuming to install. Especially for a newbie.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

But we are not talking production we are talking a desktop and yes you would not use unstable in a production box but this isnt mission critical is it.
    The packages in unstable are on par with the versions used in up to date FC1/2 and Gentoo machines would you say they are unstable? You said the packages where to old so I give you an option to have near bleeding edge versions and you complain about them
    And if you actualy read while installing its not that much of a pain and once you have done it once you can do it again in like 15 mins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2