Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey folks, I'm fairly new to linux, and have tried Mandrake 9.0, 9.2, and 10.0 (both Community and Official). Sadly, All of these had some problems, problems that, to me, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need a distro that meets these requirements

Hey folks,

I'm fairly new to linux, and have tried Mandrake 9.0, 9.2, and 10.0 (both Community and Official). Sadly, All of these had some problems, problems that, to me, were major enough to stop using Mandrake. These days, messing around with a bit of knoppix every month is about as much as I do.

But, there's always the longing. Basically, I need a distro which meets all of these requirements. (excuse me for the outline, i havent written one in months.)

-----

I. Reliability
    A. Works with my hardware (not hard, every distro I've tried has no problems)
    B. Doesn't crash 6/10 programs i try to run

II. Ease
    A. Relatively easy to install (Mandrake gets a plus for that)
    B. Actually has a GUI
    C. Lets me log on as root, from the login screen

III. Speed
    A. Boots quickly
    B. Shuts down quickly
    C. Does other stuff quickly

IV. Programs
    A. Runs XMMS
    B. Runs grip
    C. runs all other necessary stuff, just like it should

V. Compatibility
    A. Runs WINE and wineconfig, along with associated applications
    B. reads my cds, cdrs, floppys

VI. Other stuff
    A. has a cd-burning program other than K3B or GNOME/Nautilus burning
    B. Actually lets me write to floppys, burn CDs, etc.
    C. Is not Mandrake
    D. Installs on your hard drive, not a live-bootable or whatever like knoppix
    E. Doesn't piss me off (hehe)

----
    Sorry if all of that was too much, if im being too picky, etc, but I think that every distro is capable of these things, even though it might take hours/days of work. All I want is something that does all these with a minimum of work.

Thanks.

Linux Newbie

Which Distro

I like Fedora, i have used mandrake and it pissed me off a little to be honest with you and found ferdora easy to use and does most of what you ask ( i say most as i have not tried to run wine or burn a CD, i trust MS for compatability for those) but to find out what runs on it pop over to there site. I am sure you could try downloading a new version of a cd burner if it only has a standard one that you mentioned.

Also alot of people rave about slackware, i have never tried it myself but it always sounds good from what people say.

In brief i recommend FEDORA first and SLACKWARE second

Hope that helps but pop over to there sites for which packages they include for the cd burner and pop over to Wine's site for support on there software or just wait for a better reply than mine

Just Joined!
    fedora core 2 or redhat 9, i think those will suit your needs...

(fedora and redhat are almost the same to use)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    That's a pretty tall order, te27ch. I'm kind of new to Linux, so take that into consideration in what follows. I'm pretty sure that any distro will take longer to boot and shutdown than maybe some of us wish. Tweaking at fundamental levels can probably improve that, like booting only what you need. All distros can run a GUI, certainly any will let you log on as root, though some may discourage it more strongly than others. Most users will discourage you from doing this, except for sysadmin functions.

I feel your pain re: Mandrake. It's a good distro except it can't be trusted to auto-partition and in my experience anyways, is incompetant in configuring the GUI. Other that that, it's okay.... I'll second the endorsement of GrumpyGerbil for Fedora. It installs easily and works well. Some will suggest you try Gentoo, and maybe that would work for you. My sense is that it more strongly encourages tweaking and those deepest into Linux swear by it. That you say "even though it might take hours/days of work" is my only clue that Gentoo could possibly serve your purpose. Because it will certainly take days and not hours of work to get going.

As for reading/writing floppies, burning CDs, etc: there are solutions independant of distro and this is a good place to start for that.

Linux Engineer
    in your case i would suggest suse linux 9.1--easy installation(windows like),easy setup of your hardware using yast2 and control center and fast as you need...try it!
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Engineer
    Gentoo easily meets all of those requierments.

I would say gentoo also , but he wants a gui install, if you dont mind some text looking installation, gentoo will blow you away, for a few simple reasons.
    1. want a cd buring program emerge k3b
    2. want wine? emerge wine
    3.want openoffice? emerge openoffice
    4.want ANYTHING emerge ANYTING
    5.want xmms emerge xmms
    5.will simply blow past anything mentioned above for speed.

(out of curiosity, y do you not like k3b, its a helluvah lot better then any MS based buring program ive seen to date (w/ the exception of dedicated dvd authoirng software)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

im goin to recommend you try slackware or fedora. you could give gentoo a try but take into consideration it will take you quite some time to get it installed and i personally dont have time to waste getting it installed but gentoo will have probably one of the fastest boot ups and shut downs as it wont have nearly as much stuff install because everything you install you have to do manually using emerge but with slackware is also a great system it boots and shutsdown pretty fast from my own personal experience even tho i rarely ever shutdown and restart it so im not exactly sure on the speeds.

o yeah. i am also goin to recommend you just go to say distrowatch.com and start reading up on distros and look for the ones that look the best to you. and then try them out and see which one fits for you. cause this is pretty much the only way you are truely goin to find the distro you like best cause everyone is goin to push the distro they use/like best at you cause that is what they think but there are hundreds of different distros. so start trying them

so many distros so little time
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Fedora is, in my opinion, the best way to go. There is nothing I can't do in Fedora, and its easy to use.

I have to agree with that by big k, i installed gentoo mostly as a learning experiance, and as a by product, i got a incredable system, but if you need something running with little work on the install or jsut really soon, it may not be the choice for you.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast