Find the answer to your Linux question:
Original disk/partitions setup: Windows 2000 (primary partition) an NTFS partition Extended Partitions: Logical: Linux OS 1: Kubuntu Linux OS 2: Debian Linux OS 3: Fedora I can no longer recall ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

What did XP install do?!?

Original disk/partitions setup:
    Windows 2000 (primary partition)
    an NTFS partition
    Extended Partitions:
    Logical:
    Linux OS 1: Kubuntu
    Linux OS 2: Debian
    Linux OS 3: Fedora

I can no longer recall the exact configuration and partition sizes but the general setup is listed above. There was/is a linux swap partition as well. I made the NTFS partition smaller so that the Primary partition could be larger and then made part of the Primary partition large enough (12GB) to install XP. So, the task was to install XP when I already have Windows 2000 and 3 Linux operating systems. I went into Windows 2000 and formatted the new partition to NTFS and installed XP there. When I boot up now, it only gives boot options to Windows. This is expected as Windows operating systems write over the MBR. But, when I try to use Grub or GAG bootloader to try and recover the Linux operating systems, they don't show up. The disk arrangement is all different and the sdaX numbers show the ones for Windows (2000 and XP are sda1 and sda2 respectively?) and whatever is after that is 'empty' or 'unallocated.' Whatever drive letters got assigned the Linux operating systems are not there as the arrangement is changed. Did Windows wipe them out or are they hidden or ignored?

So far, I've tried Mepis LiveCD (has Gparted included) and System Rescue CD to try and restore my Linux partitions to no avail. They don't show up on either Live CD. Also, I tried using a GAG boot disk to try and restore that way and GAG only shows the two Windows partitions/operating systems.

What did I do?!? Is there any way to restore/recover the Linux partitions? I thought maybe the Windows XP not only overwrote the MBR but is ignoring the Linux partitions (sdaX etc.) but the live cds I tried didn't seem to display/reveal the Linux operating systems either!

Uh oh? I would like to know what happened, though.

I tried reading this tutorial but it didn't really help:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-edition.html

Can anyone recognize what happened? Is there any solution other than starting over (and reinstalling)?

I suggest as an initial step ... boot from a Linux live CD and as root run fdisk -l and post output.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can use TestDisk to recover/restore partitions. It's included with the PartedMagic LiveCD.
    oz