Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Ihave downloaded AVG 7.5 for Linux/Free BSD, on a 30 day trial. The file is now in my Home folder on my desktop. How do I install it from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    JTH
    Just Joined!

Installing AVG trial version

Hi, Ihave downloaded AVG 7.5 for Linux/Free BSD, on a 30 day trial. The file is now in my Home folder on my desktop. How do I install it from there?. The file ending is tar.gz. I have Fedora core 5. Help would certainly be appreciated as at present I have very little security when on the net, in fact I don't think there is any.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've been using Linux for going on 8 years and have never used an anti-virus application and have not felt the need for one. You might want to take a look at this security article, then decide if you still want/need one.

If you do, here's a HowTo (post #2) that gives instructions on installing software from source (tarball):

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    oz

JTH
    Just Joined!

AVG Installation

Many thanks for your advice. I have been to the 'link' on security and I feel happier now. I am not going to instal AVG. I did notice two possible installations, 'Rootkit' and 'Clam-Av' + 'Graphical front end'. I'm a bit wary of installing anything at the moment, being completely new to Linux, so should I forget them for a while until I (hopefully) get more experienced.
    Thank you.
    JTH

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    I'm a bit wary of installing anything at the moment, being completely new to Linux, so should I forget them for a while until I (hopefully) get more experienced.
    If it were me, I wouldn't install them, but you can if doing so would make you feel more comfortable.
    oz

JTH
    Just Joined!

Avg

OK, I've decided to leave things as they are at present, thank you for your support.
    JTH