Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Im planning to install some linux distribution as an additional OS on another HDD. Which distribution do you recommend me to use? I'd like to be able to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distribution do you recommend me?

Hello. Im planning to install some linux distribution as an additional OS on another HDD. Which distribution do you recommend me to use? I'd like to be able to use the space for the Linux distribution from the Windows OS for movies and everyting. I have very limited experience with linux OS but would like to use something i could tweak a little. I'm sure any distro here will do better than windows...

Anyways which one do you recommend me?

Thanks for your time

Hi, josealb. Welcome to the forums.

This question gets asked often here and the truth is there is no one definitive answer. Ten different people will give you ten different answers. The one thing we can tell you is you should try a few and see which you are most comfortable with and go forward with that one. Take a look at this thread and this one to choose a distribution. Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for answering so fast Thrillhouse I realize this question is maybe as you say very personal. I liked the Ubuntu 7.10 distribution which has received very good criticism i have seen. Should i go for the 32 or the 64 bit version? I have a 64 bit processor but i dont know whether the 32 bits applications will work on the 64 bit OS.

Quote Originally Posted by josealb View Post
    Thank you for answering so fast Thrillhouse I realize this question is maybe as you say very personal. I liked the Ubuntu 7.10 distribution which has received very good criticism i have seen. Should i go for the 32 or the 64 bit version? I have a 64 bit processor but i dont know whether the 32 bits applications will work on the 64 bit OS.
    Opinion is still split on this one ... search the forums 32 vs 64 bit and you will see what I mean.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by josealb View Post
    Should i go for the 32 or the 64 bit version? I have a 64 bit processor but i dont know whether the 32 bits applications will work on the 64 bit OS.
    Welcome to the forums!

The answer to the 32/64 bit question is in one of the links that Thrillhouse gave you above, but here's a direct link:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...bit-linux.html

Have fun with Linux and don't hesitate to post new threads with any new questions.
    oz