Find the answer to your Linux question:
Before today I new absolutely about Linux and know I know that there is a lot of versions. I am looking for a version that has a "top secret" look ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Newbie Looking For The Right Version

Before today I new absolutely about Linux and know I know that there is a lot of versions. I am looking for a version that has a "top secret" look and feel. I have been looking at screenshots of versions at BackTrack Screenshots | The Coding Studio Linux & Unix Screenshots | Linux & Unix Distro Screenshots | Screenshots of Linux & Unix and I have found a few that I like but not the exact look and feel I am looking for. Some of the ones that I have been looking at are BackTrack 1.0 and Helix 1.8. I have a intel based system and, for now, since I don't know every thing I think I need to know I would like to download my version to a LiveCD. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TOPSECRETAGENT

What you are looking for is called a distribution. Every distribution of Linux comes with the same Linux kernel (sometimes slightly modified, but they're all Linux). The difference is the philosophy, package manager, community, etc.

Because of this, you must not select a distro based on a screenshot. These are just the default look, and Linux is infinitely themeable. I would suggest to you that you install Ubuntu, a very common and user-friendly distro. Once you have this set up, you can look at places like:
    *Eyecandy for your GNOME-Desktop - GNOME-Look.org
    for wallpapers, themes, and other such things.

Thanks Cabhan
    Ubuntu...it can be downloaded to a LiveCD right.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ubuntu is available as LiveCD having install option. You can download latest version from here ( PC (Intel x86) desktop CD ) or request for free Installation CD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks
    I have now successively burned a live cd of Ubuntu using ISO Recorder from ISO Recorder download and review - record ISO images to CD from SnapFiles ISO Recorder is 360 kb and was extremely easy to use. (Also great if you have a slow internet connection). Now i would like to start customize...where is the best place to go to learn how... i dont want to down load themes i want to completely customize it myself.
    Thanks to the Forum for the help

What do you mean by customization? For me, its stopping all unnecessary services, settings colors, icons and wallpaper etc.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Same as you... settings colors, icons, wallpaper, login page, task bar (change it from "windows look" to "mac look"