Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Currently I am running an AMD Phenom 9600, 8gb ram, Dual Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro PCI-E 512MB and have both SATAII and IDE hard drives that will be need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I hate windows and I need some advice to move to linux.

Currently I am running an AMD Phenom 9600, 8gb ram, Dual Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro PCI-E 512MB and have both SATAII and IDE hard drives that will be need to be active. In addition I am running a 42'' Samsung Aquos at 1920x1080 (60hz) as my main display and a 19'' LG LCD as a secondary.

Because of a cap of 4gb of ram on 32bit Vista I am only making use of 3 of the 8gb I have (512mbx2+3gb=4gb cap). The "workaround" provided by Microsoft is to buy the 64bit version (another $300.00 or so).

My question is less about how to use than what would be best. I run a number of programs that have confirmed Linux versions with only a few that I may have to run using windows as a separate OS. I am mainly concerned about finding an OS capable of running, and taking advantage of, all of the above mentioned specs without feeding Microsoft more money or sacrificing something else.

Freeing myself from the constant errors and workarounds inherent in Vista would be an added bonus.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Anu_1235 View Post
    Currently I am running an AMD Phenom 9600, 8gb ram, Dual Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro PCI-E 512MB and have both SATAII and IDE hard drives that will be need to be active. In addition I am running a 42'' Samsung Aquos at 1920x1080 (60hz) as my main display and a 19'' LG LCD as a secondary.
    Wow. That's quite an impressive system you have there. ATI has Linux drivers available, but I've not personally tried them on a dual-PCIexpress setup before. I don't see anything else that would give you problems.

Because of a cap of 4gb of ram on 32bit Vista I am only making use of 3 of the 8gb I have (512mbx2+3gb=4gb cap). The "workaround" provided by Microsoft is to buy the 64bit version (another $300.00 or so).
    Yes, there is a memory limitation on 32-bit operating systems of between 3GB and 4GB. The best bet to use more is run a 64-bit OS. There are plenty of 64-bit Linux distributions available for significantly less than $300 (almost all are free).

My question is less about how to use than what would be best. I run a number of programs that have confirmed Linux versions with only a few that I may have to run using windows as a separate OS. I am mainly concerned about finding an OS capable of running, and taking advantage of, all of the above mentioned specs without feeding Microsoft more money or sacrificing something else.
    Any number of popular Linux distributions should be able to take your rig and run with it. You seem to have done a bit of research on your own beforehand, which is good. I wouldn't expect a simple out-of-the-box install, but I think with a little tweaking here and there you could get everything working.

DistroWatch is a good place to keep up to date with popular distributions. The top 10 most popular (in the list on the right hand side) are a good place to start looking.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    As you are running a Phenom, you probably want to look into
    a distro that has smp support. I think Fedora might, but don't
    quote me on it.

I don't know what sort of performance boost if any you would
    get though.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    As you are running a Phenom, you probably want to look into
    a distro that has smp support. I think Fedora might, but don't
    quote me on it.
    As of Linux kernel 2.6, all Linuxes support SMP, if I remember correctly.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

this is truth, you just have to make sure you check SMP support in your kernel config before you compile it

Since 2.6.18 all kernels are SMP, there is no longer a seperate branch. CPUs are detected on boot and support is enabled if required or rather disabled if not required.

It is standard procedure for all distros to use SMP because of the tendency to use dual and quad core CPUs nowadays. Unless this support was specifically disabled during a custom compilation it should be available.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Cool. I really should keep up
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thanks that actually does answer a few questions.

Now I haven't been able to find anything about this on the forums so if it's here please feel free to direct me to it.

I am looking to install the OS onto a flash drive but I do not want to run a live version. My DVD burner is almost never used and is more of an inconvenience so burning then installing in a partition is a lot less attractive.

My question is two fold. One, can I run off a flash drive (my motherboard allows access to it prior to windows load up, so I'm sure I can set it as a bootable drive) and two, are there any issues with installing to a partition or otherwise while in a windows environment?

Just Joined!

Flash Install

I believe you can install to a usb flash drive through the same process as a typical hard drive install. You will most likely be installing to sda1 instead of hda1. As for the windows question, if I understand you, there will be no problems as long as you leave the windows partition and the mbr of the drive it resides on alone. Because you are booting from the flash drive with the bios boot priority there will be no need to mess with a boot loader to choose between the two OS. You will have to put a boot loader on the mbr of the flash drive to make it bootable. Just curious, why do you want to run from a flash drive?

Just Joined!
    Well I'm experimenting with different configurations and possibly looking to go linux on my laptop as well; however, as windows may still be needed, repartitioning my laptop is not something I would really be interested in doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast