Find the answer to your Linux question:
thank you all in my previous thread who offered suggestions, especially you techiemoe. after deliberating, i picked vector. nowwwwwww i cant get the installer disk to boot. quickly here's what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    J--
    Just Joined!

vector install

thank you all in my previous thread who offered suggestions, especially you techiemoe. after deliberating, i picked vector. nowwwwwww i cant get the installer disk to boot. quickly here's what i did

1) i downloaded the iso file from this link
    ftp.osuosl.org :: Oregon State University Open Source Lab
    i grabbed the first one, the stand iso gold. i did not sync it with md5

2) I burned the iso to a cd using deepburner. all is well at this point, the files are in place, and autorun brings me to their site

3) This is supposed to be a bootable disk, right? well it doesn't boot. I restarted the computer, reconfigured BIOS to boot only from the correct opitical drive, and it wont boot. KEEP IN MIND the optical drive is faulty it usu takes 10+ tries for it to read my windows XP cd which i know for a fact, works.

so what i need to know is, did i download the wrong iso or once i burned it, was i supposed to go into the cd and pull out another iso from the folders or something?

FOLDERS ON CD
    Doc, install, isolinux, packages, veclinux
    FILES ON CD
    autorun, COPYING, CREDIT, README, vector

So do i have a bootable disk? Cause i wanna know before i restart my computer for an hour praying for the ****ing optical drive to read it.

oz
    forum.guy
    What is happening on the screen when you say it won't boot? Any error messages, just a black screen, it goes to Windows instead of Linux, or what exactly?

Here's a good HowTo for making sure you properly burn the ISO file to the disk as an image, and then boot it properly. Be sure you don't make the disk bootable yourself because the ISO image burning process takes care of that step automatically.

I can't say if your disk should be bootable or not, but there should be multiple files on it which you do seem to have. You should be able to put the disk in the drive, set your machine to boot from that drive, and then restart your computer, which should then boot directly from the CD itself.
    oz

J--
    Just Joined!
    The error message reads as follows (upon starting the computer after dell flashes by and it hesitates as if checking the optical drive)

"No boot deviced found. System halted" (I disabled IDE HD to encourage it to boot optical)

Also, I did not attempt to make the disk bootable myself, just burned the iso.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Is that the same error you are getting when you try to boot directly from your Windows installation CD?

It sounds like the BIOS is not finding a boot device or MBR to boot from.
    oz

On first glance your CD appears to be correct. There is always the possibility of a bad burn, you may want to run a md5 against it.

If all went well, your CD-ROM should be a bootable device that starts the Vector installer. 'cuz The boot flag is included in the iso. All you need to do is burn it as an image, as you have seem to have done.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

J--
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for the replies.

I tried it out on my friends computer, and the disk does work.

That means, my POS optical reader just doesn't wanna read it at bootup. To the person who asked if its the same error message as trying to boot an XP disk, yes it is. However once in a while it will read the XP cd. The BIOS is pointed at it... i guess i gotta like smack it around so the optical drive will read the disk. there really is something wrong with that optical drive. If I try to boot windows from the hard drive, nothing pointed at the optical drive, windows freezes on startup if there is a cd in. While its supposed to be a DVD drive, if i try to use it as such, the computer crashes.

oz
    forum.guy
    Ok, thanks for letting us know your findings. At least you now know that the CD is good. With any luck, it's possible that the DVD-drive problem could be something as simple as a faulty cable.

Hope you are able to get it all worked out soon...
    oz