Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been tryig to get sounds to function in Mandriva with no luck. Sound card (AC97) is supported-also tried the alsa driver-and straight usb. Just discovered Kinfo center which says ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Config file help

I've been tryig to get sounds to function in Mandriva with no luck. Sound card (AC97) is supported-also tried the alsa driver-and straight usb.
    Just discovered Kinfo center which says that audio devices are not enabled in config.A clue! Problem is I don't have a clue as how to find this config file or change it. Help please.

I think that's a fairly common sound card. Have you tried running alsaconf as root to see if it recognizes it and load the modules for you? Then, run alsamixer to configure sound levels.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
    I've been tryig to get sounds to function in Mandriva with no luck. Sound card (AC97) is supported-also tried the alsa driver-and straight usb.
    Just discovered Kinfo center which says that audio devices are not enabled in config.A clue! Problem is I don't have a clue as how to find this config file or change it. Help please.
    Probably the Mandriva forums or this forums specific section for Mandriva would be better places to ask, cause you would get more responses from Mandriva users.

I am not a Mandriva user, but first thing you need to know is your actual sound chip (ac97 is just an standard, like v90 for modems, or atx for mainboards, and not a chip). For that you can use the command lspci. If it is not installed then you will need to install it. It usually comes into a package called pci-utils or something similar... But as I said, I am not a Madriver. :P

After that, you need to load the relevant module for your sound card. But first we need to know what that soundcard is. Sometimes alsaconf can do the job, some others it can't, and I don't know a think on how Mandriva organizes these things.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close