Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i used to have gentoo and there my settings were set that when i opened 2 console windows ( or something else) they always were in the foreground. So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

question concerning consele windows

hello,
    i used to have gentoo and there my settings were set that when i opened 2 console windows ( or something else) they always were in the foreground. So thus when 2 consoles were overlapping and you clicked the one behind the other, the one in the back didnt come to the foreground.

So gentoo has been replaced by ubuntu and this setting has disappeared. Does anyone know how to fix it again? I searched google and forums but it is difficult to search for due to the appropiate missing terms

thanks!

Hi and Welcome !

Select 'Always on the Top' option in Settings of Terminal.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ktheyss View Post
    hello,
    i used to have gentoo and there my settings were set that when i opened 2 console windows ( or something else) they always were in the foreground. So thus when 2 consoles were overlapping and you clicked the one behind the other, the one in the back didnt come to the foreground.

So gentoo has been replaced by ubuntu and this setting has disappeared. Does anyone know how to fix it again? I searched google and forums but it is difficult to search for due to the appropiate missing terms

thanks!
    This entirely depends on the Window Manager you are using, since it is the WM the one who decides where the windows are put and how to handle layers and focus.

The distro has nothing to do here. So, refer to your WM documentation, or at least let us know what window manager or desktop environment you are using so we can help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj
    This entirely depends on the Window Manager you are using, since it is the WM the one who decides where the windows are put and how to handle layers and focus.

The distro has nothing to do here. So, refer to your WM documentation, or at least let us know what window manager or desktop environment you are using so we can help.
    Thread Starter is using Ubuntu and Gnome is default DE of Ubuntu. Read post again please.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktheyss
    So gentoo has been replaced by ubuntu and this setting has disappeared.

Just Joined!
    hi everyone,

i can indeed select for a window to stay on top, but it want it to be automatically. After an afternoon of googling, i know something more.

I use indeed Ubuntu and so metacity is my Window Manager. I ve read some sites where they state that metacity is too limited for this. So maybe i should install "devlispie" or "sawfish".

I ll try to google some more , thanks already for the posts

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Thread Starter is using Ubuntu and Gnome is default DE of Ubuntu. Read post again please.
    Your logic is flawed. That you use ubuntu doesn't mean that you use gnome. So, instead of presupposing things, I kindly asked for some more info, so I could help on a more accurate way. Sorry if that bothered anyone. You can be sure I read the whole post before writing my answer.

This is offtopic, however, so, let's get back to the thing and help if we can.

Quote Originally Posted by ktheyss View Post
    hi everyone,

i can indeed select for a window to stay on top, but it want it to be automatically. After an afternoon of googling, i know something more.

I use indeed Ubuntu and so metacity is my Window Manager. I ve read some sites where they state that metacity is too limited for this. So maybe i should install "devlispie" or "sawfish".

I ll try to google some more , thanks already for the posts
    If you use metacity and you need some serious functionality on your window manager, you will be deceived that it can't do what most wm's can do. Gnome aims for simplicity, to the point where it starts losing functionality, but that is also for another topic.

You have many ways to achieve what you want. If you like kde or xfce (not sure if xfwm has this functionality, but I bet it has), you can substitute gnome with either of them.

You can also use another wm under gnome, there's a lot of info on how to do this. Just google a bit. If you want, you can use, for example, fluxbox under gnome. This usually is as easy as:

1.- install fluxbox using your distro specific package manager (or any other wm you like: sawfish, fvwm, enlightenment........)
    2.- kill your current wm, and start the new one: killall -s9 metacity; fluxbox&

Then exit gnome and your session should be saved. Next time you login, that wm should start automatically. I am not a gnome user, so, there might be some quirks that you will need to polish.

Your logic is flawed. That you use ubuntu doesn't mean that you use gnome.
    Flawed??? As I mentioned earlier, Gnome is default DE of Ubuntu and installer doesn't give any option for any other DE installation like other distros.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Flawed??? As I mentioned earlier, Gnome is default DE of Ubuntu and installer doesn't give any option for any other DE installation like other distros.
    As I said earlier, that doesn't mean you HAVE TO use gnome. You can use whatever wm you want in ubuntu just like in any other distro, and that is what the OP is pretending exactly. Let's stop this, it will help no one.

Just Joined!
    indeed , lets stop, both of you are very much appreciated for your help.

So i will indeed get another wm and try to get it that way ( i ll fluxbox like you mention ... (first google ofcourse)).
    Lets hope nothing goes wrong with my settings

I ll stick with gnome. i was used to kde but in the end, it is no a big deal for me, as long as i have my console to work in.

thanks guys!

i know there is a setting in xfce that I use that is like this, where the top window stays as the top window unless I click on the top title bar of another window then that one becomes the top window