Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, so i've decided to try out linux, and after reading a few threads i'm starting to see that there is a lot of "distros"... so the question here is...what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First Time Linux Guy...

ok, so i've decided to try out linux, and after reading a few threads i'm starting to see that there is a lot of "distros"...

so the question here is...what linux program would be good for me to install on my box...and which tools would u recommend for me executing these purposes?

Purposes:
    1) FTP/Webhosting pics/upload files.
    2) Media Storage, so i can just type the IP in and download it from any computer
    3) iTunes Server [http://www.whatsinyourbox.org/article28.html]
    4) Web-Browsing [not really necessary]
    5) Remote Access to the xbox from my Laptop

So thats about it...also is it possible to just FIRE THE BOX up and have all five of those needs running from the get go? any suggestions on a remote access program/tool so i can access this box from anywhere on campus [heh cause this would be used at school], also suggestions for programs to execute my "vision"

Cheers

EDIT, as of now, i'm deciding between Knoppix, Fedora, or Gentoo eh. users of all distros? feedback/suggestions?

ummm... knoppix is DEFINETLY not going to do that, fedora probably will, but consider GENTOO! as it is the most customizable of the ones listed. Also has portage simply type emerge <programname> and it will install, great no? shh is the standard for remote access namely because it is secure. for file access, you can use samba or NFS, but if you already plan to have an ftp, then that is kinda redundant. Obviouly apache is THE webserver, remote access your xbox... im assuming you have linux on it? b/c otherwise...wow.... anyways,. I dont know what you mean buy iTunes server, but im sure you can figure it out, or someone here will know. Mac is unix based, so you shouldn't have any maor problems. if you install a schedualer like cron to handle processees, you can have them all start at boot, or at certain times of the day, whatever you want
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

A good linux OS for you

A good linux OS for you would be linspire. it has everything u asked. and it has this program called click and run that installs anything you want in the Click and run warehouse with just a click (it has 1895 programs in the cnr warehouse, growing daily). heck my whole family is using it and were happy with computers. It also has proven better support than aol and msn. heck it even has a plegdge to support the customers. it also has proven better saftey than aol or msn. check it out at
    http://www.linspire.com IT ALSO TAKES ONLY 10 MINUTES TO INSTALL!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Lindows is not *nix it a shity wanna be Windows yes I havent tried it but from what I have read it for lamers.
    When the guy who relesed it started to market it before it came out he said that it was a OS with the power and stablity of *nix and can run any Windows program
    Does it run any Windows program?

he probably jsut installed wine..... anyways, im sure linspire is a wonderful os, and it is linux based, but if you wanna go server side linux, that is not the distro for you. you want something that is not devoted to frontend as that will eat up system resources that your server will want.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    ok so i got gentoo, running...so is there any type of program for windows where i can access the desktop of linux? kinda like PC anywhere? eh.

Linux Newbie
    Sure -- you want VNC. Install vncserver (maybe "emerge vncserver" would work? Not sure though...) and get it running, then get a VNC client for your Windows machine, and you can use that to access your X desktop from Windows.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.