Find the answer to your Linux question:
sorry guys, these questions are pretty much unrelated, but they're small and fast: 1) I work in a company where Windows is the only operating system. Can I use Samba ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba and Sendmail

sorry guys, these questions are pretty much unrelated, but they're small and fast:

1) I work in a company where Windows is the only operating system. Can I use Samba to browse my company's network, and perhaps RDP to other computers (if not via Samba I can do it via rdesktop, so that's not important).

2) Are the services "submission" and "smtp" both used by Sendmail? I use kmail to get my mail from the Exchange server at work, and while I suppose smtp is needed, I don't see why submission is.

Thanks for your time,

- v3

Linux User
    first off as a system admin let me say this:

check with your IT/whoever that you can even install other OS's on your machines, I know if I found my poeple playing with that it might wind me up some

I cant help you with submissioon, someone else can Im sure - but you can use linux to brose the network, check the thread right next to thise, someone listed a few apps that do it graphically as opposed to just smb tex tinterface) and I know you can get the mail from excahnge. Your email is IMAP/POP3 whatever and almost any email client can get those.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    Just to clarify:

I'm in the IT department where I work. This is for my personal laptop, which is why I'm wondering; I'm not a part of my work domain. I figure, if I were part of my work domain, it would be easier, though. True?

-v3

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

network browsing

using linnieghborhood you can browse the network. but make sure that samba is already installed. it is supposed to work ontop of samba and samba client(program that let's u access windoze boxes.

Linux User
    it all depends on what you need from work

If you just want access to the internet then you shouldn't need to join the domain unless you have a proxy that requires authentication through the PDC (which i seriously doubt)

Most likley you can just grab an available IP and go from there - if you are the only linux machine I doubt you have any need for any windows programs around, if the linneighborhood will browse graphically for you that sounds like you are set
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.