Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok this is take two as windows fu<ked up my partitions last time.... I am so sick of winblows I am going to allocate it a tiny little portion on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Partitioning Practice

Ok this is take two as windows fu<ked up my partitions last time.... I am so sick of winblows I am going to allocate it a tiny little portion on my hd just for PS and VS. Anyway to get to the point, I run SuSE 9.1 which has read access to NTFS but no write, and winblows can't read anything linux so I figured I would do this:

120gig Seagage Barracuda SATA

30gig SuSE
    20gig Winblows XP (NTFS)
    70gig Fat 32

That way I can put all my movies and pictures and stuff on the Fat 32 drive which will be read and write from both windows and Suse..... right???? :s Anyway please help me out with a little advice.

Linux Newbie
    That's how I do it when forced to share between NTFS and Linux.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    ok well thats good news, so which do you install first and get to setup the partitions? Winblows or Linux?

Just Joined!
    thanks U turn, also my current linux install is not bootable do to partition problems is there anyway to access and save my data? I have the Live Eval CD from SuSE but it doesn't seem to have access to the HD....

Someone told me I should do windoze first so ignore that post unless you figure otherwise

Linux Newbie
    While NT doesn't have to be on the first partition, I'd install it first anyway. This because Windows will wipe your LILO or GRUB when it installs.
    As far as getting in to your current Linux install, there are several methods. You can boot from a Live distro like Knoppix or Damn Small Linux. These will allow you to move stuff around and, if you have a cdrom and a cdwriter, you should also be able to burn the data to a cd.
    Another way would be to repair your boot loader. Just boot from the install disk for the distro you have installed and select repair current installation(or similar) from the installers menu.

FAT32 doesn't support 70gig partitions, yuo will need 3 total, 2 30s and a 1o or something, FAT32 wont do partitions over 30 gigs (or some number close to that)

just thought i would point that out.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    thanks qub I wasn't aware of that... as for the
    Another way would be to repair your boot loader. Just boot from the install disk for the distro you have installed and select repair current installation(or similar) from the installers menu.
    I can't do that but I don't have a clue what to type once I get to the terminal prompt in the recovery....

Linux Newbie
    It's been awhile since I've had to repair LiLo or GRUB on anything but Slack. Is it possible to just boot the Linux from the cd? I've done that with Slack which allowed me to run lilo which rewrote itself to the mbr.
    Not sure which distro you have already installed(the one you can't boot) or I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Linux Engineer
    suse 9.1 has a kernel that supports ntrfs read/write.try to use make xconfig and make sure you have activated you ntfs support for ur kernel...
    Linux For Ever!