Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally got Linux installed and working. I have both Gnome and KDE installed. Gnome is my default desktop. I am very very much a newbie. Gnome was working fine, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome crashes!

I finally got Linux installed and working.

I have both Gnome and KDE installed. Gnome is my default desktop.

I am very very much a newbie.

Gnome was working fine, and I even used Gnome to make updates to my distro and isntall a load of new software.

I attempted to change Gnome's theme to a better looking theme. When I do so, Gnome crashes.

I can load KDE fine, but I can't do anything in KDE. My only options is to run a commandline... can't browse files, can't choose any applications to run from a list... nothing.

I know nothing of how to use the terminal. Nothing. I am familiar with PHP and similar things, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn, but I need help getting started.

Is there any way to change the default Gnome theme from a command line in either the terminal or KDE? Might I possibly reinstall Gnome from a command line? I have no idea where to start.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I'm already over my own head.

I'm using a distro called "lba-linux". I'm going to see about getting another distro soon, but I really don't want to lose absolutely everything I just installed. I've spent a lot of time on this already.

i know the feeling, yes you can do virtualy everything form commandline if you have a text editor (pico,nano,emacs,vi) i dont know how to change, hopefuly someone here does and will post, but look at gnomes site, they haev pretty good doc's and should have enought content to get you looking hte right direction untill someone post.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    This seems like a pretty good beginner's guide to Bash (which is most likely the shell you have as a command prompt). The Linux terminal is very, very powerful, and if you're going to be a Linux user you really must learn how to be effective with it. This tutorial should give you a good start, but it is by no means a full guide to Bash. There are many thick books on the subject.

The Gnome Theme Manager application can be run with the command "gnome-theme-manager" from the command line, so maybe that will help you out.

Good luck!
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    will your xserver still run? and its just gnome that crashes, or does xserver crash and kill gnome in the process?

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    xserver still runs... I can get into KDE... I have a GUI to log in... and I can even pick which desktop I want to use. KDE is basically useless to be right now, so I really need to get Gnome working first.

Also, I'll try gnome-theme-manager in a command

my mistake, i completly forgot you had already mentioned all that in your original post.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Someone here at work loaned me a copy of Mandrake 10.0 (that he had with him!)

Darn thing reformatted my drive and installed in under 30 minutes! (on my lunch break!)

I can change themes and everything ... I LOVE this version of Gnome much more than the one I had... It has KDE, but I haven't messed with it yet.

I've already managed to install Firefox and get stared....

now if I can actually figure out how to use Linux... thanks for the Bash tutorial... that will be helpful.

I will be bugging people with more questions here in the Newb forum.

Thanks again!