Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm yet another newbie.... I have a ton of questions but I'll just start with a few.... I'm trying to install XSI on redhat.... I was able to install the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XSI on Redhat 8?

I'm yet another newbie....

I have a ton of questions but I'll just start with a few....

I'm trying to install XSI on redhat....

I was able to install the rpm file needed to run it on KDE....

But, How do I work with this.tar.gz file????

Also....

I'm running under a default server installation....before we get into my purpose of that, is there a way to speed up my browsing and/or altogether functionality of Redhat....?

Linux Guru
    On the first issue, the XSI thing, i hadnt heard of it until now, let alone run it. All i could find was a manual: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~roys/so...Docs/setup.pdf someone else may have used it though.

I am not quite sure what you are referring to about the tar.gz file? If you have installed the package with an RPM the you should not need to install it from tar.gz as well. (simply put, tar.gz is another method of packaging software).

On the final issue you raise, try turning off any services you dont need. For example, if you are not using sendmail, there is no need to have it running? Everything you have running takes up system resources, same as in windows.

On KDE, go to "Da Hat"(i wont call it start ), and click "Server Settings" then Choose "Services". You can then turn off services you dont want, next time you restart your machine, these services will not run. If you are a command line junkie, you can easily edit services started at boot time by typing "setup" at the CLI, and choosing "System Services" from the menu(RH8 @ Least ).

Jason

Just Joined!
    It can't get passed creating the the directory in the root folder....and yes I have admin priveledges....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D Bandit
    It can't get passed creating the the directory in the root folder....and yes I have admin priveledges....
    Could you expand on that significantly please so we may try to help?

Cheers,

Jason

Just Joined!
    OK......

I try to install and I get a prompt...."unable to create install directory /usr/Softimage?XSI-EXP_/

Then setup shuts down....

I install in another directory..../home/Mike/File:/usr/Softimage....

Then it installs with several era's and the program won't launch....

I go to the XSI icon within the program directory and it says the program can not be found.....

Linux Guru
    Could you try reinstalling, but just do a quick double check to make sure you are R00T when trying to install.

Manufacturers Error Message DB:
    http://www.softimage.com/Support/XSI/ErrorMessages/

Jason

Just Joined!
    Another thing.....How do I install sound drivers?

Where is the directory for drivers?