Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK...So, lets say I'm ready to post my web page on my server....where do I store the html files along with the rest of the content in my page? I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Web Folder???

OK...So, lets say I'm ready to post my web page on my server....where do I store the html files along with the rest of the content in my page?

I think I'm almost there with the server....

I got the DNS working....

I'm just hoping the it will remain static and/or if the IP changes my domain moves along with it.....

Does that make sense?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Are you using Apache and if so for what OS/version? Then if you have not changed the defualt locations in your config filee, we can let you know the defualt locations of your index.html and follow on pages should go. We also need to know if you used path statements for your graphics etc so they may need to stay in same dir as index or a different dir.

Good Luck,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    On Slack, apache 1.3.27 defaults to /usr/local/apache/htdocs as the document root. Put your index.html file in there.

You can change this location if you want, by editing /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    On Windows Apache 2.x content is located in the drive you installed it such as the d:\ drive. i.e. D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    You may find it to be in any of the following locations depending on your exact install method and versions.

/var/www/htdocs/

/usr/local/apache/htdocs/

If you are using it as a "normal user" as opposed to setting it up using a generic folder

/home/USERNAME/www/

/home/USERNAME/public_html

flw
    Linux Engineer
    A simpistic way of finding it is to do a "find -name index.*" which will list working directories of any and all files starting with the string "index" reguardless of extension. i.e. like the default Apache index page.
    Dan

Just Joined!
    If you are using DHCP on your account you can use free services like no-ip.com to update your address.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If you are using DHCP on your account you can use free services like no-ip.com to update your address.
    Wei-Yen,

I read over thier site briefly to see if there was some catch with the free service but didn't find anything obvious. Have you used thier totally free service and if so does it force ads on your site etc.... Let us know what you experienced with them.
    Dan

Just Joined!
    I have been using them for about two years now. They are really realiable. No banner ads because all they are doing is redirecting traffic from the domain you created at their name servers to your server.

I tried dyndns but their ip client sucked. Didn't update properly.

With no-ip, both the windows client and linux ip updater worked like a charm. I stick with the liinux updater now, in the past i used the Windows one. :P

The free account gives youup to 5 domain names, but you have to use theirs....for example, you give yourself a host name, like host and then choose any of their other names, like no-ip.com. So this under this configuration this would give you host.no-ip.com. When users type this in, they will hit your server. If you are using a router you would have to use pinholing the pass the packets forward.

There is a way that you can use your own domain, but thats a paid account. Hope this helps

flw
    Linux Engineer
    A few days ago I signed up for a free account with no-ip.com and have to give a very good rating. Since I don't have the option for a fixed ip, it was just what I was looking for, but could never find.

So thanks Wei-Yen for your post and the information in it.
    Dan