Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So far, I'm loving Mandrake 10. I've left my computer on for 5 days solid now and haven't needed a reboot. Anyways, couple questions: 1.) How do I install programs? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Several basic questions

So far, I'm loving Mandrake 10. I've left my computer on for 5 days solid now and haven't needed a reboot.

Anyways, couple questions:
    1.) How do I install programs? Like, I downloaded Firefox but can't figure out how the heck to install it.
    2.) Why aren't my games working? I installed the package during Mandrake installation, but they start to load then disappear.
    3.) When partitioning my drive to run this, I made then deleted a 30 gig partition. I then made a new one on which I installed Mandrake. The 30 gig partition I deleted appears to be MIA. Windows displays the drive as 137 gb, not 167 like it should be. The BIOS is still reading it as 167. Reformat?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    1. How to install depends on the package format. Tar archives are usually source code which need to be compiled to make an executable binary, though you can sometimes get a tar binary, Then there are rpm's, available in source and binary. The binary installs using KDE's kpackage installer, or from the command line with the command rpm -i. Source rpm's have to be compiled to make an installable binary.
    For a good tutorial covering many basic things the newbie needs to know, google up a copy of Newbie's Linux Manual, which includes examples of how to use the command-line commands to do common tasks, including installation from tar or rpm.
    2. Don't know.
    3. You created then deleted a 30 gig partition, now it's just unused hd real estate. Use the partitioning tool you originally used, and add that 30 gig to either your Windows or Linux partition.The BIOS reports 167 gig because that's the capacity of the drive. Windows reports 137 gig, because that's all that's committed to anything.

Linux Engineer
    1)if the file is rpm format open a konsole window and then type:
    Code:
    rpm -i <filename.rpm>
    if the file is tar format do:
    Code:
    tar -xvf <filename.tar>
    if it is bin use:
    Code:
    ./ <filename> or sh <filename>
    although there is the opportunity to use ARK program (windows like..)
    2)you probably don't have much ram or you have loaded it much!use
    Code:
    ps -elf and kill -9 <process pid>
    to kill a process.
    3)You created then deleted a 30 gig partition, now it's just unused hd real estate. Use the partitioning tool you originally used, and add that 30 gig to either your Windows or Linux partition.The BIOS reports 167 gig because that's the capacity of the drive. Windows reports 137 gig, because that's all that's committed to anything.
    Linux For Ever!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    its the firefox installer, its probably the isntall scritp, jsut navidate to the directory you7 dled it to
    Code:
    cd /home/qub333/downlaods
    then run
    Code:
    make install
    that should hold your hand through most of it.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    mozilla uses scripts for installing stuff when you download the *.tar.gz. you should just have to execute the firefox.sh file to install, nothing more. http://texturizer.net/firefox/faq.html for more info on firefox.

Just Joined!
    Sigh, this is a pain in the ass. I'll let you all know if I get it working.

This is the only problem with Linux. Why wouldn't they just make self-executable install files for everything? This is needlessly complex.

EDIT: This is aggravating. Working in the terminal window, I'm navigating to a folder called "mozilla" that's holding the install file. The path to the file is listed in Konqueror as "file:/home/Marcus/mozilla". Terminal session:
    Code:
    &#91;marcus@localhost marcus&#93;$ cd mozilla
    &#91;marcus@localhost mozilla&#93;$ tar -zxvf / </home/Marcus/mozilla>/<fire*.tar.gz>
    bash&#58; syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    EDIT2 : Oh, got it working. Nice.

beacsu its open source, if they were already put in an exe or something of the sort, thenyou couldnt see the code. reguardless, its not very difficult
    Code:
    ./configre
    make
    make installl
    thats it, or if you have gentoo
    Code:
     emerge <programname>
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    it's not so difficult.i had the same querstion when i installed that way first time.then i didn't have a problem..
    OPEN SOURCE!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Okay, open source is great. But seriously, can't they make auto-install packages that just drop the code into a folder at the end? Sigh...

Now, since Kopete is crap, I'd like to install Gaim. This too is becoming a distinct pain in the ass.

Code:
    marcus@localhost marcus&#93;$ cd Documents
    &#91;marcus@localhost Documents&#93;$ cd Gaim
    &#91;marcus@localhost Gaim&#93;$ rpm -i <ga*.rpm>
    bash&#58; syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
    &#91;marcus@localhost Gaim&#93;$
    Suggestions?

Onto the hard drive issues. The thing is that PartitionMagic 8.0 also sees the 167 gig drive as 137 gigs, and thus simply won't let me add a 30 gig partition to it.
    [/code]

Linux Newbie
    Also, Linux runs on almost any hardware configuration you can think of, so it would be very difficult to provide self-extracting binary files pre-compiled for every processor architecture out there. The more complex process of compiling from source is necessary to acheive Linux's adaptability.

What happens with the Gaim installation if you don't use those angle brackets?
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast