Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two slackware 10 iso cd's with "extras" that weren't required in the installation. I mounted the drive ( mount /dev/cdrom ), and then ran pkgtool, but I can't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

<>Installing Software from cdroms?? HOW??<>

I have two slackware 10 iso cd's with "extras" that weren't required in the installation. I mounted the drive ( mount /dev/cdrom ), and then ran pkgtool, but I can't figure it out.

The two options that are relevant are "Current" and "Other". When I select "Current" (Install packages from current directory), the screen simply returns to the command line. When I select "Other" (Install packages from some other directory), the program then asks which directory, and I type in /dev/cdrom . Then the program tells me that the directory /dev/cdrom does not seem to exist.

Please help me

Linux Engineer
    in order to install programs from the cd rom you should make sure that you have mounted it...did u do that?
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    OK. Let's say you want to install packages from /extras on cd2. You need to be in that subdirectory. IE:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/cdrom/extras<this is assuming the cdrom actually mounts at /mnt/cdrom>
    pkgtool
    Then select "Current". OR:
    Code:
    pkgtool
    Select "Other" then:
    Code:
    /mnt/cdrom/extras
    Same goes for any other subdirectory containing packages you wish to install. You need to point pkgtool, using one of the two methods, at that subdirectory.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    ok, when pkgtool prompted me with "other", i typed:

Code:
     /dev/cdrom/ndiswrapper-0.8.gz
    ( I am not sure if it was .gz, but it was pretty much like that)

pkgtool then told me that the directory /dev/cdrom/ndiswrapper-0.8.gz did not seem to exist, and that i should try again. I did. But it didn't work

Linux Newbie
    OK. First, you weren't clear as to exactly what you were doing. From what you said, I understood that you were trying to install software from the /extras directory on the second Slackware CD.
    Second, based on that impression, I gave you a set of instructions and you did something completely different.
    Now, after going back through the thread, should I assume that you have two CD's, unrelated to Slackware, but containing software you'd like to install on a Slackware system?
    Also, if the above is the case, I'll need to know the exact extentions(.tar.bz2, .tar.gz, .tgz etc.) in order to give you the info you need to continue correctly.

Just Joined!
    hehe sorry about that, i dont have much time now but ill try and get back to you tommorow. thanks alot tho, you guys are really helpful

Just Joined!
    .tar.gz

Just Joined!
    need..help...please

Linux Newbie
    Well, the one you mentioned in your first post is ndiswrapper. Copy it to your home directory and uncompress it with
    Code:
    tar -xzvf ndiswrapper-<version number>.tar.gz
    Then you need to read the INSTALL file in the directory. I used to use ndiswrapper. It's pretty straight forward if you follow the instructions.

Linux Engineer
    otherwise if you use konsole mode (terminal) go to the appropriate folder that the file you wanna install has been decompressed(using cd command) and then type ./configure,make,make install...
    Linux For Ever!