Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, I just want to boot to console in runlevel 5 or whatever the normal is. The situation is this: wanting to install nvidia's unified drivers (gfx card not the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Boot to console

hey, I just want to boot to console in runlevel 5 or whatever the normal is.

The situation is this: wanting to install nvidia's unified drivers (gfx card not the nforce) which i just have to sh from a console... but you cant have x-server running at the same time (which makes a little sense) but i have the problem that means i need to reboot to console.

im not sure how to do this.. or just how to kill kde off and xserver and just sh it..

If i try failsafe option off the load, it wont install. This was so easy on 9.2 :C the option for console was on the user selection screen :C

I kinda of searched, but im not sure what im looking for exactly XD

All comments are appreciated! Thanks for your time
    /skythra

Linux Newbie
    You need runlevel 3. Go ahead and boot as normal. Log in to your user account. Open a terminal(Konsole, GNOME-Terminal, xterm, rxvt, aterm, whatever you use).
    su to root. At the prompt do:
    Code:
    /sbin/init 3
    This will kill the xserver and bring you to a console login. Log in as root and do the sh NVIDIAyadayada bit. When you finish with the nVidia installer, issue:
    Code:
    /sbin/init 5
    and that will start x and bring you back to your login screen(KDM, GDM or whatever you use.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Linux Engineer
    you can do that or you can switch to vt1 (ctral + alt + f1) and CTRL + C, that will kill the xserver and free up a console for you to use ;) (all that assumes that x was started from vc1

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Problem with the second one was that when i did that it reverted back to failsafe.

I didnt know how to change the runlevel =D

Thanks alot guys, thats exactly what i wanted to know =D
    /skythra

The second solution shouldn't have reverted back to failsafe. I've had to boot to console for similar reasons, and using the ctrl-alt-[f1---f6] has worked fine.
    strange
    oh well
    -lakerdonald

Linux Engineer
    to change the runlevel open a terminal and type "su" it wll prompt you for hte root password.. then type "init 3"