Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi! Is there a way to use the GRUB loader just to boot windows os's only? I like some of the features and functionality that the GRUB loader offers and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using GRUB for windows os's only

Hi! Is there a way to use the GRUB loader just to boot windows os's only? I like some of the features and functionality that the GRUB loader offers and would like to utilize it. Only question is can i just use it for Windows without having to install some flavor of Unix/Linux? If so, can somebody give me some pointers on how to acomplish this?

Thank you!

Steve

Linux Newbie
    I don't see why not, though if you were to use regular grub I believe you would need a separate partition for it's files. You would also need a LiveCD to install grub's files into that partition and onto the MBR.

I've never used this but

https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub4dos

might also be worth checking out.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, Steve!

Not sure, but I don't think you can do that. The configuration files for the bootloader are read from and stored within the Linux folders on the Linux partitions.

Maybe someone can supply some kind of work around, though.

Good luck with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Wow! You guys dont mess around! Thanks for the quick responses

So Dies, if i would install my two Windows os's first on seperate partitions and then use the Live cd to install GRUB on a 3rd partition? Would i have to load the entire Linux/Unix os or would i have an option at some point to just install GRUB?

Thank you for the link as well!!!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by steve714 View Post
    Wow! You guys dont mess around! Thanks for the quick responses

So Dies, if i would install my two Windows os's first on seperate partitions and then use the Live cd to install GRUB on a 3rd partition? Would i have to load the entire Linux/Unix os or would i have an option at some point to just install GRUB?

Thank you for the link as well!!!
    Well, if you haven't installed anything yet then my suggestion would be to start with Parted Magic it's a small LiveCD that makes setting up your drive a breeze.

You would need whatever Partitions you want for Windows and then a small about 100mb ( to be safe ) EXT3 partition.

Once you have that laid out you can install Windows or whatever else you want, then you would boot from a Live CD and place the grub stage files onto the small EXT3 partition, and follow that by installing grub into the mbr.

No, installing Linux is not necessary in order to use grub, the only requirement is that the stage files are present.

If you have any problems at that point you can post here or PM me, and if necessary I can tar up a grub folder for you and walk you through installing it to the MBR and configuring your menu.lst to boot Windows.

Just Joined!
    Your awesome! Ill get a pc together for testing purposes next week and see how it goes.

One additional question just to confirm what i have read. The GRUB loader will also allow you to set a password? For instance, i want to utilize the primary partition for one os but i want the second os in the boot menu to be password protected. This can be accomplished by editing the menu.lst. Errr, is that true?

Just Joined!
    Sorry, one more question in addition to the previous post.

Does the GRUB loader vary from one flavor or another? if so, what would you recommend that i use.

Linux Newbie
    Yup, you'll be able to use passwords as long as you use a normal grub and not a patched "gfxboot" grub like the one used by Suse.

I think Suse is the only one to ship it by default?

The grub shipped with most distros is the regular one that has no fancy effects but allows you to set a splashimage and use passwords.

If in doubt grab a Fedora or an Ubuntu Live CD.

Just Joined!
    Thank you again Dies for making sense of everything i have read up until now. I really appreciate the help!

If you are installing GRUB to dual boot 2 Windows OSes then it will not work. GRUB doesn't boot Windows OS directly and uses chainloading only. Its not possible to chainload second installed Windows OS because Windows Installer uses boot.ini of previous Windows Installation and boot files aren't configurable like Linux.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast