Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking into purchasing a Dell pc, pre-loaded with Windoze XP. I'd like to (read: I'll die if I don't) put FC2 on half of the 80G harddrive, and wonder ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Partitioning on the cheap

I'm looking into purchasing a Dell pc, pre-loaded with Windoze XP. I'd like to (read: I'll die if I don't) put FC2 on half of the 80G harddrive, and wonder if there's a free way to partition the drive. I know that fdisk will partition a drive, but will destroy all data. Does this include the loaded operating system? Is it safe to partition in such a way that all data is lost (I won't have any personal data on the machine yet) and still be able to load the os (ie from recovery CD's)? Sorry, this is kind'a a newb question. I've read alot into partitioning, and can't see my way to purchasing Partition Magic for $60 when a 40G HDD is also $60 I also am in the unique position of not careing what happens to "data" on the drive; only the os!

Thanks.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Linux Newbie
    It says it can't deal with NTFS. What do I do about the NTFS partition occupying the whole drive??
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Just Joined!
    well if you just purchased it, there really isnt anything to lose..
    just delete the partition, and then make 3 partitions, (linux/swap/windows)
    then install windows, and after that linux

just an idear

Linux Engineer
    Mandrake's partitioning tools will resize ntfs without loss. Get a copy of mandrake 10, and run through the install as far as the partitioning tools. Do the partitioning and resizing, write to disk and then stop. Then install yer FC2.

Be aware that any partitioning resizing etc will be at your own risk.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly