Find the answer to your Linux question:
Got Debian installed in vmware - set 'er up - took a while to get x-window to run - but I am HERE!!! Next Mandrake and RH...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First Post from Linux!!!

Got Debian installed in vmware - set 'er up - took a while to get x-window to run - but

I am HERE!!!

Next Mandrake and RH

Just Joined!
    Well done

How did you find it?

/me replies from red hat

Just Joined!
    well, don't be insulted but .. I find Linux to be archaic in many respects. Where many say "it does what you tell it to do" I see as "you have to tell it to do everything". I guess you need to know what to tell it to do and how to tell it to do things.

With the GUI and all the "out of the box" options, it's pretty big too - 300 MB. About the same as a similar Windows install.

Spent many years in the NetWare 2.x world hunting down evasive and non-existent drivers, recompiling OSes and having to fudge things. Also went through DOS with its quirks and its need for constant tweaking. Both were very similar to Linux in these respects.

BUT - I'm looking forward to learning the ins and outs. Command line, configuration and using the tools all the security gurus tout so strongly. Have a feeling that once I am more comfortable I'll like it just fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    well, don't be insulted but .. I find Linux to be archaic in many respects.
    Since Linux is base off of Unix which has been from the start at AT&T was know as a terse OS, so it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. It's more configurable which is it's upside. I am one of the few that doesn't believe it free but that's another subject.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    LOL!! I know nothing of Linux history - That'll be added to the list of reading.

It'll be fine once I get accustomed to it. I'm sure that many things can be automated that I now have to do manually as well.

You'd be surprised how far just a little Linux knowledge goes. You can read a solution to something on some forum...and then think "Hey! I can use that here!" or "Hey! This works the same way!" I'm still a n00b by comparison, but I feel comfortable doing pretty much anything in Linux. The fact that you never have to reboot (save hardware installation or kernel rebuilds) and have complete control over EVERYTHING just adds to the joys on Linux. Hope it grows on you.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    You'd be surprised how far just a little Linux knowledge goes. You can read a solution to something on some forum...and then think "Hey! I can use that here!" or "Hey! This works the same way!"
    ahhh, so it isn't just me who has found this.
    Ive had big problems with my laptop over the past few days, had to build up a system out of a few different distro's, using a few others to get it working. but as soon as i had done, i realised that I all of a sudden didn't need to keep refering to my list of commands i have scrawled on a piece of paper. its great I NEVER experienced such a good sence of well being when i was using windows.