Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, as you have probably gathered, I'm a total n00b to this wonderful world of Linux. I want to learn Linux, and I am going to choose RedHat 9 as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux and Windows XP on 1 HDD

Hi, as you have probably gathered, I'm a total n00b to this wonderful world of Linux.

I want to learn Linux, and I am going to choose RedHat 9 as my choice of Distro. But... I still want to use Windows XP for other stuff.. downloading etc.

How do I install Windows XP and Linux Redhat 9 on ONE hard drive and be able to choose which OS to start up everytime I start the PC?

If anyone can help me, please post. or add me on MSN or AIM.

Daniel
    MSN: warriordan@gmail.com
    AIM: warriordan5

Linux Newbie
    If the hard drive is empty, then you're in luck. You just need to partition it into sections for Windows and Linux. Here's an FAQ from the tutorials section on dual-booting with Windows: http://linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3573

I hope this helps.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Just Joined!

Damn

Damn, you're fast.

I'll read up on it, thank you VERY much

you would normally have to make space for it (im a noob too but ive installed redhat)

Redhat is very VERY easy to install

ill give you a guide:

1. Get redhat, make sure you get the version compatible for your processor, tell me what pro

2. Image the ISO's to a CD, or i think you buy redhat, im not sure, i use fedora core 2 which is the newer version or redhat, because redhat is not being worked on anymore

but if you did download, you need to image the ISO to some CD's, i recommed using Nero

in nero, start it and cancel the whole express thing, go to recorder and select 'Burn Image'

use the window that appears to select the ISO, then you will see a window where u can select options, you have 3 tabs but you can only change the stuff on the last tab, change the write method to disk-at-one, i duno why yet but my friend told me to and they worked

now press burn, repeat this step for all ISO's but i suggest only burning 1 ISO to make sure you downloaded the right ISO, i wasted about 9 cd's because i burned them incorectly or burned the wrong ISO

3. Restart and insert disk 1, boot it up, then follow the instructions, i think you press enter and it will load anaconda the redhat GFX installer, installed with GFX rather than text, but it will tell you

4. You might be wondering about partitions but linux redhat will give you options about partitioning in the installed, it will usually create the partitions it needs by using whatever free space there is or take some from windows, you get to decide of course

the installed is easy and there is help at the side should you need it, make sure that wincrap is not hogging all the space, one day you might forget about it and delete it
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help..

Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?