Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am getting really confused on how to run or even install this program. I extracted the .tar file, but im not too sure what to do after that. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing rar

I am getting really confused on how to run or even install this program. I extracted the .tar file, but im not too sure what to do after that. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I tried doing it this way from the rar directory that i made when i extracted the .tar file.:

Usage: rar <command> -<switch 1> -<switch N> <archive> <files...>
    <@listfiles...> <path_to_extract\>

and it didnt work. It says:

bash: rar: command not found

I'm obviously doing something totally wrong.

Just Joined!
    You don't say which version of rar you are using (maybe even winrar for linux http://www.win-rar.com/index.php?aid=download&lang=eng?). or even what linux distro you are using (installing could be as easy as doing for instance apt-get install rar unrar-nonfree in debian).

If you downloaded the command line winrar (a tar.gz), it unpacks a directory. In the directory are all kinds of files, the four most important being unrar, rar and rarfiles.lst, default.sfx.What to do with those files? Well, the Makefile that comes with it makes that pretty clear:

Code:
    PREFIX=/usr/local

install&#58;
            cp rar unrar $&#40;PREFIX&#41;/bin
            cp rarfiles.lst /etc
            cp default.sfx $&#40;PREFIX&#41;/lib
    So, getting root and copying rar and unrar to /usr/local/bin/, rarfiles.lst to /etc/ and default.sfx to /usr/local/lib/ should do the trick.

That's about it.

Good luck, have fun, and please, try and be more precise and give more information when asking questions.

Just Joined!
    So, getting root and copying rar and unrar to /usr/local/bin/, rarfiles.lst to /etc/ and default.sfx to /usr/local/lib/ should do the trick.
    Thank you stilus

I have been searching for hours, running this and installing that and your post got me extracting rars with ease. THANKS!!